Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lannegreenelag

Blue Lake Pole bean - can't find locally?

lannegreenelag
15 years ago

I grew Kentucky Wonder last year and wanted to try something new. It seemed Blue Lake was liked by many so I have been looking for it. I can find it in bush form but not pole. Was this not origionally a pole bean? Is there some reason I can't find the pole form? Does it have problems?

Comments (12)

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

Myself I prefer Blue Lake over Kentucky Wonder. I get my Blue Lake Pole Beans from Gurneys online. If you are unable to get it locally you may have to order it online. I did a search and besides Gurneys, Parks Seed, Thompson & Morgan, and Territorial Seed all carry them. There are some others too but those are the companies that I am familiar with.

I am surprised that you were unable to find them locally I would think that almost everyone would carry them. I guess next time I go to my local garden center, (I go there very often, too often) I will have to look for them.

• jwr6404
    15 years ago

leasag
    I'm positive I saw some today. I'll check tomorrow and if they have them I pick you up a package or two. There is a sale,buy one get one free. If I get them I'll need your address. Will let you know tomorrow.

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Here's a link to Black Seeded Blue Lake Pole bean. It's a good one, though I haven't grown it now, since 1985.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Seeded Blue Lake Pole Bean

• lannegreenelag
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your quick replys. Yes, I can order some. I just thought maybe the vines are not very productive or had especially bad disease issues in this area. There must be some reason they aren't sold locally. It is hard enough to make up your mind what to plant (because of the very tempting options)! I would try the bush but my garden layout really calls for a pole bean.

• veg_grower964
    15 years ago

I buy mine at co-op feed and supply.If you have one close to you they might have them

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Leasag, I have other preferences. But for one who likes a round, stringless green bean there's little to complain about with Blue Lake. It may not be available in your area simply because it has fallen out of popularity, which in itself says little about the bean itself.

George

• rockguy
    15 years ago

As an aside, you can force any bush bean to assume a pole bean growth with gibberellic acid. It is a mutation that causes them to be "bush" in the first place, GA just corrects that.

• lannegreenelag
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, where does one purchase gibberellic acid? I'm a biologist and I have never heard of that.

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

If you have a garden center near you, you may want to ask them if it is something they could order for you. I wanted to grow yellow wax pole beans but was having the same trouble finding them and you are with the blue lake. I asked the guy at my local garden center and he said he could get some for me. Of course he knows me though, I go there quite often. I think he needs to start giving me a frequent shoppers discount.

• jwr6404
    15 years ago

leasag
    Gibberellic acid. I purchase mine from MEGA GRO for my apples. Try www.megagro.com. Moderately expensive.

Jim

• bella_trix
    15 years ago

Hi Leasag,

I like Blue Lake pole bean (white seed) as a good basic green bean (although I like other varieties much more now). I bought mine from Territorial Seed. I've included the link below.

I tried Blue Lake Black Seeded pole from Franchi last year and it is the only green bean that I actually disliked. Something about the taste did not make me happy.

Bellatrix

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Lake Pole Bean from Territorial Seed

• dvdgzmn
    15 years ago

Hey rockguy,

I would love to grow certain bush varieties as pole beans, but I can't find any references online to support your claim about converting bush to pole using GA. Can you point us to a reference to back it up?

Sponsored