Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever heard of a Quail's Head horticultural bean?

Posted by BreeRose983 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 23:28

My 97-year-old Grandpa used to grow a bush bean called a Quail's Head bean. I remember shelling them when I was a kid, and wanted to see if I could find them today.

I had no luck googling it, so I asked him about it. He says it's similar to a "Horticulture bean", and when I googled that, I found something that looks just like I remember: the French Horticultural Bean. Both have purplish-red-streaked pods and seeds.

When I googled "Quail's Head horticulture bean," I found references to it in 2 old (1862 and 1902) botany bulletins. One has it in a list of "One Hundred Varieties of Beans, by Miss Lucy S. Brewer, Hingham Mass" that were "displayed at the exhibition of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, September, 1864."

The other has it in a list of beans, and says that its "Seedsmen's Synonyms" are "cranberry" and "horticultural."

Now I am wondering: is the Quail's Head is a specific cultivar, perhaps one that is rare or extinct? Or is it a regional nickname for a different bean, perhaps the French Horticultural? Has anyone heard of this bean, or have any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever heard of a Quail's Head horticultural bean?

BreeRose, can't help you with a source but there's a bit more information in the link below. Apparently it is also know as "Early Rachel" or "The Rachel" bean.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Quail Head

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 10:17

A grower in Iowa offered Quailhead bush dry bean in the SSE Yearbook until 2003:

IA SC D - 2003: a.k.a. Purple Cranberry, hort. type, rusty with maroon marks, from local family who grew it for 70 years.

Dick

o

The term "horticultural", as used in bean nomenclature, is problematic. See the link below for a long thread on the topic.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Horticultural Beans

o

Someone might want to write to the person who listed the bean in the SSE yearbook in 2003. They might still be maintaining the variety. I have written to people who had listed beans in previous years and several times they were willing to send me bean samples as they were still maintaining the variety from their outdated listing. You might come up empty handed, but you might get lucky too.

o

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Aftermidnight, I had also come across the name "Rachel" in a couple old documents, too. Not sure if it's the same thing or just a similar cultivar.

Jimster, I had read that thread on horitcultural beans when I began my search. I had no idea the term was so contentious!

And thanks to Drloyd and BlueJay for the SSE suggestion. I think I will contact them and see if it's still around. It never hurts to ask!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here