Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldpea

Penny Rile

oldpea
15 years ago

Are Penny Rile southern peas good at the green shell stage?

Comments (12)

• Macmex
    15 years ago

They're okay. I don't do many cowpeas as green shell, so don't take my word as the final authority. I find them difficult to shell out at that stage. But they taste good.

I don't have much experience with many other cowpeas. So I can't tell you if it's "cowpeas" that I find difficult, or "Penny Rile Cowpeas" which are hard to shell.

Well, let's see if someone else with experience will show up and put in their opinion.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• adamwr33
    14 years ago

bump.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

My primary use of southern peas is as green shellies. I don't care that much for them dried. While I grow a dozen cultivars at one time or the other, I have not grown Pennyrile so I cannot directly answer your question. I do not find most cultivars, particularly larger peas difficult to shell in the green stage.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Farmerdilla, I lack experience with many types peas. But my guess is that Penny Rile is about the same as some other cream pea. What do you think of cream peas for shellies?

George

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

I like cream peas as a change of pace. Best all around for me is Zipper. Good flavor an easy to shell, I also grow Texas Cream 8 and Texas Cream 40 and have grown the ving cream pea that was vended by Sothren States Cooperative as simply "Cream". I also like the little white peas, preferring White Acre. Big Boy is sort of in-between a cream pea and a pink eye. One of my favorites. I also like most crowders, Brown, Knuckle Purpe Hull, Black, Collosas. About the only one that I have grown and did not like was the old Grey Crowder, which some vendors are now calling Blue Goose. Too strong a flavor for me.
    {{gwi:28153}}

• oldpea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

O.K., I'll fling some up against the Pencil Cob corn once it gets big enough, and report back on the flavor of fresh- shelled Penny Rile. I may have to interview a deer to get the information.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

I too will have to try them. Being a transplanted Yankee I haven't gotten 'round to trying them as green shell. I like them dry, so much, that I tend to hoard them for that kind of usage.

Farmerdilla, what do you think of Kentucky Red? Someone gave me some, and I'm planning to put out a row.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Have not tried that one either , George. I tend to plant standards, rarely exotics. This is Holstein, which a friend gave me a couple of years ago. Does ok, little darker soup than a California blackeye, but otherwise comaparable. I willgrow just about anything that someone gives me to try. But I don't go looking for off beat cultivars.
    {{gwi:1020255}} {{gwi:1020256}}

• rodger
    14 years ago

I prefer all southern peas in the shelly stage. In the dry stage to me there are several I do not like. Whippowill is one I love in the shelly stage but don't care for in the dry stage, Holstien is another. Most of the cream peas are very good in the dry stage same for the light colored eye peas Its the darker colored peas which are too strong a flavor for my taste when dry. The key to shelling southern peas is to pick when they are ripe, if still green you will tear up your fingers trying to shell. Peas are ripe for fresh shelling when the pod turns yellow for most varieties or purple for the purple hull types. If the pod is still green or not all yellow they will be hard to shell.BTW Farmerdilla what did you think about the flavor of the holstien pea, I think it resembles the taste of boiled peanuts more than a pea. Rodger

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Rodger, it is ok as a green shellie. Little stronger flavor than California # 5, but similar enough that my wife will usually eat them. She will not touch crowders. I rarely ever eat dried cowpeas so I can't comment on dried flavor. I eat all peas with snaps, so I like the green immature pods also.

• rodger
    14 years ago

I am the same here. Best way to eat southern peas is fresh shelled with a few snaps. We can most of the fresh shelled peas and snaps then also freeze a few. Frozen peas better match fresh for taste but I have limited freezer space with hundreds of varieties of seeds to keep plus we do our own butchering which takes up valuable freezer space.Rodger

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?