Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Penny Rile

Posted by oldpea 8Tx. (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 0:02

Are Penny Rile southern peas good at the green shell stage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Penny Rile

They're okay. I don't do many cowpeas as green shell, so don't take my word as the final authority. I find them difficult to shell out at that stage. But they taste good.

I don't have much experience with many other cowpeas. So I can't tell you if it's "cowpeas" that I find difficult, or "Penny Rile Cowpeas" which are hard to shell.

Well, let's see if someone else with experience will show up and put in their opinion.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

bump.

o

My primary use of southern peas is as green shellies. I don't care that much for them dried. While I grow a dozen cultivars at one time or the other, I have not grown Pennyrile so I cannot directly answer your question. I do not find most cultivars, particularly larger peas difficult to shell in the green stage.

o

Farmerdilla, I lack experience with many types peas. But my guess is that Penny Rile is about the same as some other cream pea. What do you think of cream peas for shellies?

George

o

I like cream peas as a change of pace. Best all around for me is Zipper. Good flavor an easy to shell, I also grow Texas Cream 8 and Texas Cream 40 and have grown the ving cream pea that was vended by Sothren States Cooperative as simply "Cream". I also like the little white peas, preferring White Acre. Big Boy is sort of in-between a cream pea and a pink eye. One of my favorites. I also like most crowders, Brown, Knuckle Purpe Hull, Black, Collosas. About the only one that I have grown and did not like was the old Grey Crowder, which some vendors are now calling Blue Goose. Too strong a flavor for me.
Black Crowder

o

O.K., I'll fling some up against the Pencil Cob corn once it gets big enough, and report back on the flavor of fresh- shelled Penny Rile. I may have to interview a deer to get the information.

o

I too will have to try them. Being a transplanted Yankee I haven't gotten 'round to trying them as green shell. I like them dry, so much, that I tend to hoard them for that kind of usage.

Farmerdilla, what do you think of Kentucky Red? Someone gave me some, and I'm planning to put out a row.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

Have not tried that one either , George. I tend to plant standards, rarely exotics. This is Holstein, which a friend gave me a couple of years ago. Does ok, little darker soup than a California blackeye, but otherwise comaparable. I willgrow just about anything that someone gives me to try. But I don't go looking for off beat cultivars.
Holstein Holstein 1

o

I prefer all southern peas in the shelly stage. In the dry stage to me there are several I do not like. Whippowill is one I love in the shelly stage but don't care for in the dry stage, Holstien is another. Most of the cream peas are very good in the dry stage same for the light colored eye peas Its the darker colored peas which are too strong a flavor for my taste when dry. The key to shelling southern peas is to pick when they are ripe, if still green you will tear up your fingers trying to shell. Peas are ripe for fresh shelling when the pod turns yellow for most varieties or purple for the purple hull types. If the pod is still green or not all yellow they will be hard to shell.BTW Farmerdilla what did you think about the flavor of the holstien pea, I think it resembles the taste of boiled peanuts more than a pea. Rodger

o

Rodger, it is ok as a green shellie. Little stronger flavor than California # 5, but similar enough that my wife will usually eat them. She will not touch crowders. I rarely ever eat dried cowpeas so I can't comment on dried flavor. I eat all peas with snaps, so I like the green immature pods also.

o

I am the same here. Best way to eat southern peas is fresh shelled with a few snaps. We can most of the fresh shelled peas and snaps then also freeze a few. Frozen peas better match fresh for taste but I have limited freezer space with hundreds of varieties of seeds to keep plus we do our own butchering which takes up valuable freezer space.Rodger

o

Rodger, thanks for the tip on shelling. Though I've gardened all my life, I'm a relative novice with cowpeas. They just weren't on the menu where I grew up. Here on Gardenweb, I think it's good to remember that there are probably many "novices" out there, who will benefit from information that might seem "just too basic" for those who know.

Thanks Farmerdilla! I didn't even know that Kentucky Red is not a standard. The seed sure is pretty. But then, all cowpea seed is pretty!

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here