Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eating pea leaves

Posted by hemnancy z8 PNW (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 0:49

I ordered pea seeds from Evergreen Enterprises which sells Chinese or Asian seeds. One variety of peas is supposed to be for eating the young leaves and tips. Can all peas be eaten in this way? Has anyone tried them? I planted some and will try them when they have grown.

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eating pea leaves

Pisum sativum plants are edible, whether they are palatable to you is a matter of taste. Most of the folks who eat them use snow peas. Primarily in Chinese dishes.

o

Linked below is a thread on the Asian Vegetables forum about pea shoots. There are several others. When you search for info on this topic, try using the phrase "pea shoots". That will give you the most appropriate hits.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pea Shoots

o

Here's a recipe. They are a Chinese delicacy and normally are prepared in a simple way such as this.

I've never grown or cooked them. I have eaten them in a Chinese restaurant and they were good.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pea Shoot Recipe

o

Thanks for the info. I will have to try eating some shoots soon. I have planted my cold frame and they are up, and just seeded some more peas in a couple of rows. I also think I'll try growing them in late July again too for a fall crop. I'm interested to see how the seeds supposedly for shoots are different from the other peas. Avalanche snow peas are new for me this year too and they are sprouting vigorously and with more tendrils than the other peas.

The idea of eating the wayward vines that flop over and break if you try to pull them up is interesting.

Nancy

o

I enjoy pea shoots, but (usually) don't plant peas for that purpose. When I grow soup peas, there are always some seeds that get knocked to the ground during thunderstorms, and can't be saved. Many of these "volunteers" will germinate in the Fall. The young shoots usually survive the first frost, and are a welcome "salad" when not much else is still growing. The first 2-3" or so is tender; depending upon the variety, I may eat them raw, or use them in stir fry. Just as with snap beans, some varieties are sweet & tender eaten raw, some are not.

There were years (in warmer climes) when I planted peas as part of a mixed Winter cover crop, along with oats/barley and vetch/favas. These peas were seldom able to pod before they were turned under, but I would harvest a lot of shoots before the cover crop was mowed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here