Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Pick Just Three

seysonn
13 years ago

Ok. If you had to plant NO MORE than 3 beans, what will be your choices. I am asking this because I do not have the luxury of planting so many. I am basically interested in tender, tasty green, productive POLE type beans, for fresh use or freezing(possibly).

Thanks in advance.

Seysonn

Comments (10)

• happyday
    13 years ago

The three most prolific, fast maturing, and trouble free beans I ever grew were Ma Williams, Mr. Tungs, and Aunti Vi Italians. The Mr. Tungs also has the advantage of being easy to shell.

• rdback
    13 years ago

Emerite or Fortex

Garafal Oro

Barksdale or Kentucky Wonder Wax

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

That's a hard one as I grow mostly single poles of a dozen or so varieties each year to sample. My two mains this year did very well 'Auntie Vi's' and 'Uncle Steve's' these were on netting (60 plants) each. The one I was most impressed with as far as producing a lot of beans and a lot of seed on a single pole was Bosnian Pole, I'm still in awe and let's not forget the tenderness and great taste. Tennessee Cutshorts were the next best producer on a single pole, great flavor and my first time eating beans in their jackets, this is going to be one of my mains this year. Other beans I have grown that have done well for me in past years are 'Cherokee Trail of Tears' and 'Mr. Tungs'. See I couldn't keep it to 3 and I'm sure the list will grow :D.

Annette

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Ahhhhhh, that should have been last year for Auntie Vi's and....

Annette

• seysonn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks very much folks.
    I have heard the names like FORTEX, CHERROKI, KENTUCKY.., BLUE LAKE
    Actually, I had couple of them last year. The one that hat more of flat pods, i did not like.Also I was not happy with cherroki yellow wax, bush??
    I also plant Hyacinth pole, just for beauty although it is very productive. Yardlongs ?? I never got the right one.
    Another season , another try. HAPPY GARDENING. YE'ALL.

• jimster
    13 years ago

"The one that hat more of flat pods, i did not like.Also I was not happy with cherroki yellow wax, bush?? "

Flat podded Italian beans, often called Romas, have a distinctive flavor which some people like. Apparently you don't prefer them, so I suggest avoiding that group entirely as you narrow your list.

The same goes for wax beans, all the yellow podded ones. Some people like that type but, if you don't, use your valuable garden space on other types.

Fortex is an easy first choice. Ma Williams, Tennessee Cut Short, Rattlesnake and Uncle Steve's are highly regarded.

Jim

• seysonn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jim,
    I will take your advice. I have already some Blue Lake and Kentucky Wonder soaking. I will look for Fortex and Ma William .... I am not for selling. I just want tender green snaps, that I can even enjoy off the vine, like sweet peas.I will check with PIKE today.

• jimster
    13 years ago

"I have already some Blue Lake and Kentucky Wonder soaking."

Some gardeners soak bean seed prior to planting. But I believe the best advice is not to do it. Just plant them dry. There are seeds with thick, hard seed coats which benefit from nicking and/or soaking, but beans germinate readily with normal soil moisture.

Jim

• tormato
    13 years ago

My three would be...

Jeminez
    Garrafal Oro
    Rattlesnake

Jim,

Lumping (all?) flat podded Italian beans together as having "a" distinctive flavor, is like saying all round podded beans have a distinctive flavor. Flat podded bean varieties are as varied in flavor as round bean varieties.

Gary

• jimster
    13 years ago

Gary,

There are many flat podded beans and I haven't tasted them all. The ones I've eaten which were labeled "Italian" or "Roma" all shared a certain beany flavor which I enjoy. Perhaps there are flat podded beans which are not of this type or perhaps I am over generalizing, as you say. But that's my experience.

Jim

Sponsored