Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bean companies?

Posted by lucille Houston (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 6:56

I've been lurking and reading posts here and am interested in growing some of the more unusual beans. Some I saw here I could not even find for sale. I do not have a lot of room but can grow three or four varieties of pole beans.

I'd like the names of some companies please that sell some of the more unusual beans; but I would like to order online and not have to go buy a money order.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bean companies?

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 8:13

Lucille, google that question and you will get all the bean companys that has pole beans for sale. What do you call unusal pole beans? I'm sure you will get answers from others on this site.

Luther

o

Hi Lucille
Finding some of the more unusual varieties can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Google individual varieties and you should find some of them, others are not sold commercially just traded amongst ourselves.
If you give us a list of what you are looking for we might be able help you find a source.

Annette

o

The two kinds I'd like to start with this year are Anasazi and Poltschka, I would be grateful if someone would point me to a company that sells them.

o

I'm sure there are more companies that sell Anasazi but I've dealt with Seed Dreams with good results they have them listed. I've also seen them listed at Purcell Mountain Farms. Other than that I'd have to do a search.

Poletschka is not sold commercially as far as I know, one or two people on this forum are growing it though. I don't have enough to share right now but hopefully in the fall. Russ Crow has them in his collection you might want to contact him.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: A bean collectors Window

o

Thank you for the info.

o

Here you go, just found this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poletschka Beans

o

Annette you are awesome thank you

This post was edited by lucille on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 15:48

o

This will be my first time growing Poletschka so can't can't comment on them myself but I did find this bit of information on them.
Poletschka produces masses of knobby bright green pods which can be eaten when small. The plants are rampant climbers and set load of pods. When shelled out fresh the beans are various shades of purple and mauve but when fully mature the are a very dark purple-black. They are smallish, coco-shaped and rounded, and very, very, shiny, so the dried beans look a bit like black currants.
The beans cook to a chestnut-red color and turn the cooking water black. They taste good and are very hearty. They cook quite easily from fresh but after drying they may need a good long soak as the skins tend to be quite thick and waterproof.

Annette

o

Thank you. Can all dry beans be eaten in the pod when they are small?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here