Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Source for Mr Bethell's Purple Podded Pea?

anney
14 years ago

While reading about Alderman peas, which I'll be planting shortly, I ran across this UK site (Daughter of the Soil) and a discussion about a beautiful garden pea called Mr Bethell's Purple Podded Pea. It's probably available in the UK, but I don't see an American Source for it.

Has anyone from the US grown it, and where did you get the seeds?

Comments (8)

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

Well I have not found a source for Mr. Bethell's Purple Podded Pea. However, I did find a source for the Capuchin Monk variety out of Holland (which is the original purple podded pea strain created by the monks during medieval times).

Here is the link: http://www.amishlandseeds.com/legumes.htm

You will have to scroll down a bit and look for this name: Capucijners Blue.

I don't know why they call it blue when it truly is purple. I have seen blue beans, truly blue beans. But, as with most plants, some call blue purple and vice versa. LOL

Sorry I could not find the heirloom variety you are looking for, but most likely the heirloom variety came as a genetic cross with this original listed above.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Don't know that one. CAPUCIJNERS BLUE POD is available from Amishland. It is a tall purple podded pea that has been around for a long time. gets 5-6 feet tall, A better soup pea than a green shelling pea. Synergy Seed Exchange has several of the old blue/purple podded Pisum type peas, Including the Desiree Blue/Purple pod (a bush pea topping out at about 2 feet).

• fusion_power
    14 years ago

Sandhill has several including the blue pod capucijners.

DarJones

• mauirose
    14 years ago

Great blog Anney, thanks for sharing the link. i really enjoyed reading about her adventures in pea breeding.

• anney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mauirose

Yes, that's a charming site. I don't think I've ever personally known a pretty young woman who's a musician but also likes to breed peas and rescue "heritage" peas from oblivion! And many Brits are REALLY into pea-growing. It seems to be nearly a national past-time.

I was interested in Mr. Bethell's Purple Podded Pea mostly because the flowers are so beautiful! That it's an edible pea is a bonus. I went over to the Heritage Seed Library that Rebsie Fairholm mentioned and found a similar pea, Pea 'Kent Blue'. And there's Purple Flowered Russian, Purple Mangetout, too. All have a similar blossom color-pattern, though not identical. I'm going to see if I can find any of them that are sold by American vendors. If not, maybe see if we can find a supplier who will grow and sell them!

And I learned "mangetout"! It means to eat the entire young pods and peas, as we Americans eat snap peas or snow peas.

• mauirose
    14 years ago

i love pea flowers! Picking Sweet Pea bouquets several times a week right now ; ) You have probably already noticed that Carouby de Maussane pea has those same pretty flowers tho' not as large? Lil easier to find.

Rebsie's review of Golden Sweet is amazing, did you read it? i think i am out of time and space this year, not too early to start next year's list, is it?

i am looking forward to Opal Creek Golden Snap Peas this season. The breeder mentioned that the vines became 'semi-perennialized' when grown out in Mexico. Very exciting for me ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: Peas at Pinetree

• anney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mauirose

That Carouby de Maussane pea pod is enormous! I didn't dream pea pods grow so big!!!!!

You really do wonder why Americans seem to be so "prissy" about peas, not terribly interested in them, and except for some snow peas I once grew, most of the commercial pea blossoms seem to be white. I'd really love to grow some other kinds to eat and enjoy some colorful blossoms, too!

And yes that Golden Sweet pea is gorgeous, the vines and the pods! Planet Natural also carries it. (Do shipping costs for seeds add to your garden costs because of where you live?)

• mauirose
    14 years ago

Wow, Jurassic Peas ; )

Not sure why peas aren't more all american. Maybe it's because not very many people have tasted a good pea.

For me it's a no brainer. The old, hard stringy ones sell for $7 or $8/lb at the grocery (but no fighting with mynah birds). In the back garden fat juicy sweet pods grow easily. (OK, i guess there is enough to share with the mynahs since they are the only pest.)

My best vegetable flower right now is the large, pea shaped, medium blue blossom of the wing bean. Can't hold a candle to those pea flowers tho'. Can you grow wing bean in Georgia Anney?

Did you ask about shipping costs? Uh oh, rant on.

Grrr. Here's the thing about shipping costs. Some things, like the small packages seeds ship in, can be sent anywhere in the USA for the same flat rate. In spite of this some companies routinely assign a surcharge for shipping to Hawaii. This offends me so i usually take my business elsewhere. i am occasionally conflicted because i admire the selection and business practices of the company and would otherwise want to support them with my order. When that happens i usually suck up the surcharge but feel grumpy about it.

Ok, rant off. Thanks for asking. I feel better now ; )

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES