Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fortex Beans

Posted by barbge 4 MN (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 10:06

I was just wondering if anybody has a few extra Fortex bean seeds that they might be willing to part with? I'd like to try them but I don't see them in packets at any local stores. I grow tons of bush beans because I hate strings, but I've been told that Fortex are a completely stringless pole bean so I thought I'd try it out. If you want to do a trade I have many different types of pepper seeds I could trade with.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fortex Beans

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 14:51

barbge, email me your mailing address and I will send you a package of 30 seed.

Luther

o

Email sent. Thanks so much for your generosity!

o

I am not asking for any seeds but I wonder WHY it is not sold by major seed companies ? They have all kinds Kentucky and Blue Lake all over the place.

My other question: What makes Fortex a better bean ? Taste, productivity ?

Thanks

o

I'm curious about the lack of strings. So far, I've tried purple podded pole, Kentucky wonder, and blue lake, all of which are supposedly stringless when young, however, I didn't experience that. They all had strings regardless of size for me. Maybe people say that Fortex are totally stringless so I though I'd give them a try in addition to my bush varieties.

o

Fortex is a very good snap pole bean for fresh eating at the young mature stage. It is unproductive in most climates including mine. It is too soft for canning in my opinion. Given a choice, I would grow Emerite before Fortex depending on primary use. If I want a really good canning bean, I would grow an old heirloom bean that I got from my grandmother. Sandhill Preservation has some seed this year. It is Grandma Roberts Tricolor bean. The listing at Sandhill is in the purple bean section, but it is NOT a purple bean.

This post was edited by fusion_power on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 12:23

o

It's super productive in my garden. I add innoculant at planting time. Beans are stringless and edible at any stage except when overripe. I always have enough to give away. But I don't can or freeze them, so I can't say about that.
edit...I order fortex from Johnny's Seeds.

This post was edited by susanzone5 on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 21:39

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here