Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
marvel of venice

Posted by hementia8 8 MS (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 11:06

I have been growing the red streaked black one for a number of years and this year received the all black in a trade
Are there two strains,or is one an imposter
Charlie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: marvel of venice

There is a white seeded yellow bean

and a red streaked

and a black seeded yellow bean

o

Thanks
That is very strange
I wonder which one is the true MERAVIGLIA DI VENEZIA

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 10:10

Variety: Meraviglia di Venezia

Members:

CA DO G -

1993: 90, a.k.a. Marvel of Venice, very productive yellow romano pole bean, vines to 6', produces pale-yellow, meaty sweet pods, matures deep purple-black seeds, CV Lem

CA JA K -

1990: yellow Romano pole bean, shiny black seeds are purple before they dry, CV Lem (dropped in 1988)
CA JA K -

ENGL WY J -

1990: (Marvel of Venice), a.k.a. Rheingold, black seeds, broad flat yellow pods, good picked young and cooked whole and also used for fresh shelling, late maincrop, warm areas best, CV

IL KE D -

2010: 80, tall plants heavily loaded with 4-4.5" pods, top of seed light brown and bottom half is white, , Italia
SSE Accession: BEAN/POLE/WAX

NETH LI A -

1994: 90, black seed, yellow podded,

OK MC G -

1987: 120, round seed, blue at shell stage, black with blue tint when dry, long yellow Romano type pods which (contrary to "The Garden Seed Inventory" desc.) emergegreen/yellow like other wax beans, will send photocopy of original seedpacket (in Italian) for a 10 cent stamp, my last yr. to carry this one, NGA member Ed Thomas of Charlotte NC brought seed back from fairly recent trip to Italy,

ONT GA J -

1994: 120, a.k.a. Marvel of Venice, climbs 6'+, large 1 x 8" yellow pods, streaked with red when mature, delicious when pods are small and still partly green, dry seeds navy blue, CV Italian seed company

o

Richard ,thanks for the research
It looks like black is more prominant however it looks like Don Kellum has thrown in a new winkle with his half white half brown cultivar in 2010
This year he lists a black seeded variety
Charlie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here