Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
started_with_bean

Can I plant sugar snap and snow peas now? Warm here this week...

Started_with_bean
12 years ago

The weather is suppose to get in the 50s-60s during the day here in MA this week. Do you guys think I can start my peas now? I'm planning on putting them in big pots off my back porch. I just don't want to start them too late, in case we've got an early spring this year. This is my first year with peas, BTW.

Comments (14)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I'm kind of debating the same question here in SE Michigan. A late arctic blast could take them out, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I think it would be worth the risk to do at least a few.

If you're growing in pots anyway, if weather colder than mid to upper 20s threatens, perhaps you could move the pots into a garage or other sheltered spot?

It is about 3 weeks earlier than I've ever planted peas before, but I think I'm going to give it it a whirl and see what happens. I'll plant about 20% of the crop now and see, and wait until around the end of March to do the bulk of them.

• coconut_head
    12 years ago

I just did 500 Snow peas into a raised bed on Monday. Late cold snap be damned! $6 in seeds isn't that big of a hit to take.

• Started_with_bean
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just planted half my sugar snaps and snow peas yesterday in a big pot. BUT, I was so excited and raring to go, that after I carefully lined up and spaced the seeds, and then carefully put about an inch of soil on top, I turned around to stare at my packet of unopened inoculant!! Yeah, stupid me! Well, I wasn't going to dig them all out again, so I just sprinkled the whole thing on top and crossed my fingers. Gave them a drink and put on my homemade squirrel proof cover.

• jludman
    12 years ago

I'm in southern NH, zone 5. The weather is not showing a single night below 40 in the next 2 weeks, and some days in the 70s.

I'm inclined to put bush peas in some spots where my tomatoes and peppers will go, today. Fix up some nitrogen and they should yield before tomato planting date. Is that crazy? Most localized frost date I could find is May 24 (10% chance any day below 32F), so tomatoes shouldn't go in until the first week of June, I guess.

• Started_with_bean
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess the worst that could happen is if we get a cold snap and the peas get delayed and aren't ripe until mid June, which I've heard is more common most years. Could just keep the tomatoes in pots longer then. Or, the weather is so off that you could put tomatoes into the ground the first week of May!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

I'm in 6 and I think I'll put some snaps in today. Planted some Walla Walla Onion seeds today already.

• nilaa
    12 years ago

I am in zone 6 and the weather is 70s in daytime. planted sprouted snow peas over this weekend. is it too late?
    this is my first time trying peas.

• georgeneschreiner
    12 years ago

I am facing the same dilemma and have decided to plant some peas, spinach and lettuce. This is at least 3 weeks earlier than I have ever planted, but this is a very warm year and I am optimistic about about this actually being spring. If not, I can always replant.

• roamwhereiwant2
    12 years ago

I'm kind of jealous. We skipped spring and went from frost to 50-60 degree lows. It's too warm here for cold weather crops. We've been setting records for heat this year.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

I just got my peas (and lettuce, spinach, radishes, etc. seeds) out of the fridge. No inoculant - where do you buy it? My great-uncle just soaks his, don't think he adds inoculant. But I'm thinking of starting them. School conference tomorrow, maybe Thurs?

All my peas rotted last year - never came up. But half my lettuce rotted too, hope this year is better.

Started my tomatoes Monday (a week ago) and they're almost all up, but won't put those out til Memorial Day (*maybe* Mother's Day but we've had late frosts...) so plenty of time for peas. Got some peppers going, but most still hiding -could take another week or 2 for chiles.

Then again, it's going to be 80 tomorrow and Thurs - crazy weather! Should I wait til weekend when things cool off to 50's to plant?

• alisande
    12 years ago

How's everyone's peas doing? I planted mine a couple of weeks ago, and they had just emerged when the temperature took a dive to 19 degrees F. overnight. It's into the 40s now, and the peas seem to have survived the freeze.

• coconut_head
    12 years ago

Mine are doing great, 2-3 inches tall and nearly all 500 have sprouted. Tendrils forming and multiple leaves on each beginning to fan out. They look strong.

• Molex 7a NYC
    12 years ago

I have 4 kinds (pre soaked 12 hrs)of Peas going; planted here in NYC on the 19th, about 99% germination on or about the 26th using an inoculation, plants are about 1 inch tall; Peas have not unfurled any leaves yet, when they do I will thin them a bit.

• Started_with_bean
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Only half of my peas germinated and are looking great at about 2-3 inches tall. Weird thing is, exactly half of them germinated in the pot, like someone drew a line in the pot! I think the rest have probably rotted by now, as it's been 3 weeks. I'll be soaking a bunch today (didn't for the other bunch), and get them in the dirt. The soil on one side of the pot must have really been warm and the other side not so. That's the only explanation I have for why half the pot looks great and the other half is barren. Haven't had any more warm days like in March lately (strange thing to say...).

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals