Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Weather

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 13:42

What can I say, I'm a happy camper it looks like we're headed for a decent spring for a change, it's been a long time coming. Although in the back of my mind I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop LOL.

I'm going to risk planting a few Black Jungle Butter Beans outside as in the greenhouse and keep my fingers crossed. I'm still going to start most of my beans in the greenhouse to be planted out instead of direct sowing just in case the weather does an about face.

I'm looking forward to planting Seneca Speckled Egg and Selma Star (one we thought might be extinct) along with a few more new to me beans thanks to some very nice people on this forum. I'll post my revised list once they're all in the ground.

How's everyone else's season shaping up ? Dick I hope you are experiencing the same start to spring we are up here. Does this mean we might actually get a decent summer or is it going to get hot, hot, hot, hope not I don't do hot well.

A picture of the Sencea Speckled Egg I'll be planting shortly with the now no longer minted Canadian penny. Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Weather

too soon to tell here annette

first we have to get rid of all this snow. we had a few sunny days above freezing that shrunk the banks back a bit, but when you have 4 ft of snow cover, it takes awhile to get rid of it. colder this weekend with snow showers predicted. hopefully those snow showers don't turn into inches.
sure has been nice to see the sun.
without even trying, i have something like 10 new bean varieties to try.

keith

o

It's been in the 70s range here in San Jose for the last week or so, and there were a couple times when it got to 80 degrees! I've gotten my seed crop for 'Comtesse de Chambord' in, and those should hopefully be out by the end of May. I think that I am going to start my pole beans in pots within the next week or so, and put them in the ground. It looks like we'll be having a good year!

o

It looks like we are finally (finally!) done with temps dipping into the 30s. We had a 27 last week! That's unusual. Friday is predicted to have a low of 41, then Monday in the 80s! Weird, weird, weather. My potatoes are growing, salad, onions, favas have nearly full pods. So I am going to plant a small batch of bush beans this weekend along with tomatoes and be prepared to toss Remay over them if needed. The pole beans will have to wait another couple of weeks.

o

The Weather is screwing with me. 70's during the day and high 40's sometimes 50's at night for a few days. Then 40's during the day and high 30's at night for a few days.

They predict warm, I plan to plant, then it gets too cold . AAAARR!

My soil temp is high enough so I'm planting corn, squash, and beans tomorrow if I can get home before the rain comes. It is close to dark when I get home.

I might just plant by candlelight tonight! LOL

o

What is this spring you speak of?

o

It all good here in inland SoCal. My nights are settling in to high 40s to 50 and most days are 70something. Actually it was 80something today!

I started some beans inside and planted them outside in Earthboxes about two weeks ago. So far I have a tricolor bush mix in one box and in another, both Jiminez and GoldMarie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here