Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this bean?

Posted by Leslie5684 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 14:27

Can anybody help me identify this bean? I found a few plants growing as a "hedge" but the homeowner was not around.

This post was edited by Leslie5684 on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 11:17

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this bean?

No picture :(.

o

It's really hard to tell from the picture there are so many beans that look similar. Are the pods smooth to the touch or do they have a slightly rough look and feel to them, if this is the case they be one of the runners (coccineus).

Annette

o

That pod looks pretty big. If the plants were growing "as a hedge", my first suspicion would be favas. If the plants are vines in a warmer climate, there are other possibilities. Knowing your geographical location, Leslie, would help to narrow it down. A closeup photo of the seeds - especially the hilum, where the seed attaches - would be helpful too.

o

Thanks to both Zeedman and Annette!!

I am in Costa Rica but this is quite clearly not a tropical plant, although beans are a staple die here (rice and beans)

Fava might be an obvious choice, but the beans would be almost square and a lot bigger. The pods are also "hairy"

This pod is smooth and between 9 and 10 inches long!

The plant is not a runner or vine.

o

Leslie, thank you for the photo & your location, it helps. I'm fairly certain that what you have is Jack Bean (Canavalia ensiformis), a bean which grows in tropical & sub-tropical regions. I have linked to a photo of the seed below, but a web search will show you flowers & pods as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack bean

o

Researching this further, Jack Bean is indigenous to Central America, and the USDA has accessions collected in Costa Rica... so it would not be unusual to find it there.

o

Thanks so much for all the help. I have just returned from the site where I found the bean and I believe that you are quite right as to the variety.

I finally forund the owner of the land where the bean was growing and he told me that he planted the bean as a "wind-break".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here