Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have I drowned my peas?

Posted by yarkehsiow RI 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 16:31

I thought I was being smart when I planted my pea seeds in a trench (SFG trench method) on Sunday. Now, it has been raining heavily for 36 hours, and the trench looks more like a pond (I did cover the soil with plastic covered wire mesh, so I think they're still there at least).
Before planting I soaked the seeds for about 12 hours, so they've been underwater for most of the past 72 hours...
My question: can pea seeds drown, and will I have to re-plant?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have I drowned my peas?

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 17:02

They can rot, but you could dig a couple of them up after your trench drains and see if the root bud has formed and if they still seem alive. If both conditions hold, give them 3-4 more days to see if they break ground. You should know within a week or so, if your weather is optimal after the rain.

o

Thanks! weather is supposed to be beautiful after tomorrow, so I'll hope for the best and dig a few up.

o

If you dig up a few to see how they're doing, pinch them. If they're relatively firm, they should be okay. If goop comes out of them, they're rotten (even if the outer skin looks all right).

This is something I know for a fact... 8-(

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here