Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Question about Insuk's Wang Kong

Am I right originally there were some all white and all black beans in the mix, the beans I have are mauve laced with black and the rest mostly mauve with a few black speckles. If someone could share either the white or black seed or both with me I could send a few dollars to cover the cost of bubble envelope and postage.

This is another bean that impressed the heck out of me last year, I only planted 6 beans and have enough seed to share with my neighbors (so we're all growing the same runner). I've also been able to share with a few more and still have enough to plant as well as a backup if needed. I'm hoping Jim won't mind me sharing them around as they are such a great bean and I would like to see them take off up here.

A couple of questions... I assume the white beans have white flowers, should they be grown separately? Do the black seed only produce black beans or do they also produce speckled or laced patterns.

Annette

Comments (9)

• jwr6404
    13 years ago

Annette
    I am the originator of this Bean which has been named after my wife. Out of a hundred plants I always get 1 or 2 plants with white flowers and Beans as I have so stated in the past. I believe I have given all the white ones away but I will however go through my on hand seed to see if I can come up with a few white ones. If not I will save you all the ones from this years crop. We are planting 250 Beans this year so should have several. Will followup this posting if I find any white ones. In the past I sent several to Zeedman and he did not,as I understand,choose to plant them. Perhaps you could ask him if he still has any seeds.
    Jim

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jim, I grew up eating scarlet runners, in fact they were the only beans my family grew, but I have to say your beans are the best runners I have ever tasted, have yet to try them as a dried bean. They stay tender longer then any of the other runners I have had in the past. Just let me know when and I'll send what you need to cover the cost of mailing them.

Annette

• llaz
    13 years ago

Last season was my first time growing Insuk's and I too was really impressed. I also got different colored seed, some mauve, some speckled, some all black, etc. Does each bean have the potential to produce beans with all the colors? For example, if I plant only the all black seeds this year, will all the beans produced be black or will I get all the colors?
    Lou

• happyday
    13 years ago

I never saw a white bean, but if you plant your mauve and blacks, you might get some black beans from them. I think that you can get all colors on one plant but I could be wrong.

I picked out an ounce of all black IWK beans to send you, just send me your address again, don't worry about postage. :)

• jimster
    13 years ago

"I think that you can get all colors on one plant but I could be wrong."

I think all the beans on one plant are the same color but I could be wrong. ::-)

We can find out for sure a few months from now, can't we? If we pay attention, that is.

Jim

• sorellina
    12 years ago

Ciao Jim-

I'm one of the people who received a packet of all white Insuk's Wang Kong seeds, hoping for a white-flowered heat-tolerant variety. Sadly, I have to report that every single surviving plant from these white seeds gave me red flowers. Some critter PULLED several of the young seedlings right out of the ground. It's perplexing to me what could have done that. I've had bugs eat the emerging seedlings to the ground, but nothing has ever pulled them out. Anyway, I have maybe 8 remaining plants and they did fairly well, despite having a very tall, very vigorous Crystal Apple Cucumber tower in front of the trellis. Normally, the beans outgrow the cucumbers at first, but we had a really cold spring. I have pods maturing on the vines now and should have a fair number of seeds to evaluate this fall. It will be interesting to see if I get a variety of coloured seed coats. That's my prediction, since it appears from the white seeds --> red flowers that macmex was correct regarding a general variation in seed coat colour for runner beans: "Zeedman, in my experience runner beans almost always have that kind of variation in the seed coat, and planting seeds of any of the different appearances seems not to select for them."

Here's a photo of earlier in the season:

Original Author
    12 years ago

I had something pulling my Bosnian Pole beans out last year leaving them on top of the soil, had to replant them several times. I had other beans planted but none of them were pulled out. I think it was probably a bird, Stellar Jays will pull out and eat any new crocus bulbs I plant unless I cover them with something.

Our IWK's are ready for picking YUM, can hardly wait.

Annette

• happyday
    12 years ago

Annette and Sorellina, I look forward to finding out if you got all black seeds from a black seed plant or all white seeds from a white seed plant, or a mix, or if they all reverted to pink/black type. Please let us know when you find out.

Original Author
    12 years ago

This year when I planted the IWK's I separated the color patterns, planted them at opposite ends of a bed. I haven't harvested seed from the the black ones Happy sent me yet as they were planted later in a different part of the garden. I have from the other two tho' and the seed I'm getting is the same color pattern as the seed I planted so it looks like you can separate the colors and they stay true, at least with these two. I don't know if there's much of a difference in the green bean stage, maybe something to check next year when they first start producing beans. This is such a great runner bean, great flavor, we're really enjoying them.

Annette

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor