Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
possible problem

Posted by duajones z9 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 18:13

I noticed a possible foliage disease on my plants today. Just a few but a problem nonetheless. I will mention that I have kept the raised bed they are in pretty moist, maybe that is the source of the problem. Not sure what it is, maybe some sort of blight. Any ideas?
dtongue2

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: possible problem

Could be a disease problem, also could be some type of environmental problem, scorch comes to mind -- has it been excessively hot or windy where you are.

The problem with ID'ing these sort of things is that they all look alike, especially in the early phases.

Something to look for - if it's fungal, watch for a ring or bullseye pattern (like tree rings) to develop in the infected tissue. If it's bacterial, it might tend to be wet and sort of "slimy." If it's purely environmental, it should be sort of dry and "crispy" and shouldn't spread beyond the original margins of the dead tissue.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of plant pathology will be able to help you more.

o

Scorch or sun burn came to mind when I saw it too...maybe too much sun on a wet leaf...I wouldn't be too concerned with just a couple of spots...

o

The plants are still seedlings... I frequently observe similar wilting/scorching in bean plants at that stage, probably because their roots have not yet penetrated deeply enough. It is seldom serious, and usually only affects the first set of leaves. As the plants grow, the problem disappears on its own.

o

I went ahead and removed 4 or 5 effected leaves. Otherwise they look pretty healthy. I may have overcrowded the 7x3 raised beds as I have 84 plants total, second set of plants were sown 2 weeks after the first. They have really grown a lot in the past week or so

beans

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here