Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

what does the soil depth have to be for beans?

I don't want it to be too shallow that the plants won't develop a good root system. I'm assuming the deeper the depth the better?

However I do container gardening, so unfortunately I'm limited with how deep I can make the depth for the bean and pea plants.

What should the minimium soil depth be for planting bush beans and peas? What would be the ideal depth for their root systems?

I know some plants have shallow root systems, others have much deeper root systems? Do beans have shallow or deep root systems? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Comments (10)

• iam3killerbs
    13 years ago

Since you have so many questions about container gardening, perhaps your needs would best be served by obtaining one of these books to help you understand the basics of the practice:

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon.com search for container vegetable gardening books

• bgrow_gardens
    13 years ago

I have not tried beans in containers...
    Although I'm sure it's possible. However, to my understanding, (and a little research) beans are fairly shallow rooted. Plant approximately 5" apart and they need a soil depth of 16 - 18".. I hope this bit of info. might help in your endeavors...
    Happy Gardening

bgrow_gardens

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    13 years ago

An excellent book about growing vegetables in containers is called "The Bountiful Container" by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey. If I recall correctly, they recommend a minimum 8" soil depth for beans.

• drloyd
    13 years ago

As an experiment I grew some pole beans in a self watering container with soil 7 inches deep. They did fine.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Some people search and find information and figure it out. Then they ask others about whatever they don't understand or ways that it can be modified to their situation.

Others just ask everyone else about anything that pops into their heads and about anything their answers bring to their mind.

I'm not saying one way is better than another. However one is far less frustrating for everyone involved.

When doing an online search (Not a Garden Web Search). The best terms to add to a search of any given plant search are. (Culture) and (How to grow). Its amazing how much information there is on the internet.

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

The rest of you are starting to figure out that k'necko wants everyone else to do the work for her. Do a search on the username, see what happened in the past and you will quit answering.

• happyday
    13 years ago

Fusion, there's 8 pages of results. Could you sum up what you mean, or did you already do so in the first sentence?

Kawaiineko, just be brave and try your own experiments and find out what works for you.

• soilent_green
    13 years ago

Most forum posts have value as a future reference for search results. As such I do not feel any valid question or any helpful response to a valid question to be a waste of time for anyone. IMO this was a valid question deserving a helpful answer and I guess I really do not care who asked it or their motivation. :-)

Now, folks asking the same obvious, redundant questions without doing a forum search to see if it has already been asked and answered - that is a tad annoying. But I understand that not everyone comprehends the concept of forums, forum archives, and archive searching. GW could reduce this problem by simply placing the forum search box at the top of the forum pages rather than at the bottom, and by also having a clear, concise search help section for forum users.

Regards,
    -Tom

• crnagora95
    13 years ago

I have grown bush beans in 2 gallon containers with success, and I am trying pole beans in pots this year, the site I am using says they need fifteen gallon pots. Here is the link I am using:
    http://www.growbetterveggies.com/growbetterveggies/2008/08/how-about-a-veg.html

Also, not to be rude, but I don't think it is very good advice to just recommend a book; if someone goes on to a forum to ask something, they probably would like an answer back. Some people may rather get one specific thing answered than have to pay money for the whole book. Also, if someone take the time to right a specific (long) question on the forum, isn't it the least we could do to respond back, with either advice or a website with advice?

Also, pole beans tend to have a shallower (2-3 feet) root system (in my experience), but it spreads out quite bit, and makes a ton of roots. Bush beans have a smaller root system that is a lot shallower. I think anything taller than a foot is good for bush beans.

Sponsored