Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beans from the grocery

Posted by littletemchin MA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 19:16

I would like to plant a nice three sister style garden this year, but since I would need a lot of beans to partner with all the corn I was planning to plant I was thinking of buying dried beans from the grocery store and planting those.
I have heard that mass producers have bred beans that are normally pole beans into bush beans...
if this is true I would like to know which beans (from the supermarket; I shop at whole foods/stop and shop) grow to be pole beans; as those are the ones necessary for a three sister garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beans from the grocery

Very few of the dry beans in the supermarket are pole beans. Pole beans are labor intensive to harvest. On the other hand most local supply stores sell bulk seed by the pound. Here that will run 3-5 dollars per lb. Southern States Coop here has McCaslan, Kentucky Blue, Kentucky Wonder, Missouri Wonder, French Horticulture, Blue Lake, White Seeded Kentucky Wonder, and Rattlesnake in that price range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here