Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phantom_white

bush beans with pole bean?

phantom_white
13 years ago

I've got a lot of beans this year and am looking for room to plant them all. Providing the soil is rich enough and the beans all get adequate water and sunlight, would planting bush beans and pole beans together be feasible? For many of the bush seeds I only have 10-15 each and I want to plant them and raise enough seeds to have an edible crop next season. Any ideas?

Comments (7)

• seysonn
    13 years ago

15 seeds sounds lik e a lot to me. You can harvest green and let some to mature. If each vine produces 20 pods and each pod has 5 seeds, that will add up to 1500 seeds if let to mature...even half of that, 750 seeds, can cover a lot of ground.

• phantom_white
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've currently got 710 seeds with a few more on their way to me. Probably 800 seeds overall of pole, lima, and bush beans. I've got no lack of corn to grow them up but I worry that the strong pole beans will pull the corn down. I'm using mostly field types to grow things up and then I have 2 59' rows- one of those rows will be Logan Giant beans and I'm trying to convince my parents to let me take the other row for the rest of my pole beans. I really want to save lots of seeds so I can share them next season with people in my area who aren't very educated about growing heirlooms.

Abby

• mauirose
    13 years ago

Bush Pole Trellis
    Bush Pole Trellis
    Bush Pole Trellis
    Bush Pole Trellis

Is this what you are talking about Abby?

It will work, as long as you are sure that bush beans really have a bush habit. I planted some Perona bush beans a few months ago and was dismayed to discover that they are more of a runner/half runner bean. No worries, it was all good in the end ; )

Good Luck with the enabling Abby!

• phantom_white
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It looks like I might not need to interplant the poles and bushes together, so that's good. I may try a small area just to see how they do.
    I did some research on the bush varieties I have and it says they all display bush habits, most not getting any bigger than 16". I hope they all come true to type.

Abby

• tormato
    13 years ago

Abby,

I've put bush beans next to pole beans a few times. The bush beans need to be south of the pole beans, so they don't get shaded. A foot away, if you have the space. And, if you're growing two fairly close together rows of pole beans, a row of bush beans between the two pole beans, south of one but north of the other, probably won't work.

Gary

• happyday
    13 years ago

I agree with tormato, think that if you have east/west trellis for pole beans you might get away with putting a few bush beans at their base on the south side, however, try having beans with a different color so you can tell if they cross. Or you could put your bush beans south of other plants that they won't cross with like tomatos, or along a walkway, maybe with lots of cardboard or mulch at the base to suppress grass, or maybe try your bush beans in containers.

• phantom_white
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everything I grow (besides a few tomatoes) are heirloom or OP. I like things I can save seeds from so I don't have to keep buying them.
    I'm not sure which way my bean fencing is facing... I just try to fit everything in wherever it will go.

Abby

Sponsored