Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyamybobamy_gw

Asparagus Beans Just Rotting in the Dirt

amyamybobamy
13 years ago

Hi everyone -- I haven't planted beans of any kind in about two decades. Last summer I discovered Asparagus (Yard-Long) Beans at the local farmer's market last summer, and decided to grow some, but I'm certainly no bean maven!

I presoaked my purchased yard-long bean seeds and planted them out about three weeks ago.

Nada. Nothing emerged.

Presoaked a new batch and hardly any germinated, planted them out and later discovered they had turned to mushy slush in the soil.

I really want to grow these beans so ... what would it take to get them to grow? Did I just plant them out too soon?

Comments (4)

• crnagora95
    13 years ago

Beans seeds rot in soil under 60 degrees. Wait a bit before you plant them out again. I wasted a whole packet once replanting and not knowing that beans need warm soil

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

Ditto on the above. Asparagus beans (a.k.a. yardlongs) need even warmer soil for optimal germination than common beans. Given soil temperatures of 80 degrees F., they will germinate in as little as 3 days. At soil temps of 70 degrees, germination will take longer... and I wouldn't even try them direct seeded in soil cooler than that.

Also, I recommend against pre-soaking beans. Many have reported poor results after having done so. I've tried to figure out why, and think I might have the answer. My best guess is that in any large sample, there are always a few seeds already infected by rot-causing organisms. There could also be a few dead seeds which have already begun a slow decay. Soaking would allow those few to infect the whole batch. Hands touching the wet seed could be another source of infection.

I've had my best luck germinating yardlongs indoors, in peat strips (Jiffy strips), using sterile soil-less seed starting mix. As soon as they germinate, they need to be placed in direct sunlight, since they get leggy very quickly. The transplants will tolerate much cooler soil than the seeds themselves.

• amyamybobamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for your valuable feedback.

Do you think that peat-filled paper-egg-cartons would be adequate for starting the beans? (Mine just seem to disintegrate very quickly, and in the past I have used them as "peat pots".) Is there an advantage to starting them a couple of weeks in advance of warm weather?

It's been unseasonably damp and cold this year, and it's harder than usual to predict a good planting season.

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

You can germinate most types of beans and peas in any small container using seed start mix. Pure peat would work since you are not trying to grow the seed, just get it germinated. Be prepared to set out the seedlings within a day or two of germinations.

There is no advantage to starting pea seed while the weather is still cold. All varieties of cowpeas including yardlongs are adapted to growing in high temps. If you set out peas in cold weather, they just sulk until things warm up enough.

Peas break down as a result of infection by soil fungi when planted in soil that is too cold. That is not the only possible problem. You could also have seed that are dead to start with. Germinating some in seed trays is the best way to find out for sure what is wrong.

If you plant peas in soil that is too hot and dry, they will do the same thing and break down before germinating. If you are planting peas in extremely hot (100 degree plus) temps, it is best to plant heavily and cover them with at least 2 inches of soil.

DarJones

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!