Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urbanfarmer7b

unknown climbing bean?

urbanfarmer7b
14 years ago

I live in Atlanta, and there was a business near by that I used to walk past and the owner had a bean growing on the eight foot chainlink fence. Two years ago the building was demolished. Last year I saw the beans still growing on the fence. I took some beans and some pictures.

Would anyone recognize the bean?

If someone knows what they are or can get me close, I'm more likely to give them some space. The plant covered the 8ft fence. I believe the owner was from Pakistan. I met him once and said they were the best beans. Attached is a picture comparing it to christmas lima and calico crowders as reference. the mystery bean is in the middle. Followed by the pods on the vine.

Thanks,

Robert

Comments (6)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    14 years ago

The large red & white bean is a lima, most likely the variety "Christmas", or less likely, "Madagascar". The white bean in the seed photo - and the one whose pod clusters appear in the vine photo - is most likely a hyacinth bean (Dolichos lablab). Can't help you with the small red & white seed, but it looks like a cowpea.

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

The beans in the middle are White Hyacinth Bean. Variety known as Semen Lablab Album (Dolichos lablab). This particular variety should have white blooms and pale pods in comparison to the vibrant purple flowers and pods of the Purple Hyacinth Bean.

I know these are used in Chinese dishes as it originated in Asia I believe.

WOW! You are so lucky to have come across this find! I just planted some purple hyacinth beans last week in plug trays. Once you get this growing out, would you care to swap seeds? LOL

• urbanfarmer7b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to both of you. You guys are good! I did a quick read on Hyacinth beans and read the dry beans were poisonous; and then I read a good 'back and forth' on the edible landscape forums, how all beans have some poison etc. I'm guessing that these are a more edible variety then purple hyacinth.

I'll find a space for them just to keep them going.

Agrigirl, I harvested about 1/2 cup of seeds, which is much more then I need for my small garden. Send me an email if you would like some seeds.

Thanks,
    Robert

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

Robert,

Awesome! I appreciate it! E-mail is on it's way!

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

The dry beans could be toxic, not poisoneous, IFFF consumed raw, uncooked.
    To cook , simply soak them over night, then throw away that water. Bring some water to boil, boil them for couple of minutes, strain. Now add it to your recepie.
    Lot of beans, chick peas, especially the split yellow ones, are bitter (toxic ?) So thats how you get rid of that bitterness.
    I grow purple hyacinths and saute/stirfry young fresh beans
    just like snow peas and green beans. I also eat them raw.
    No toxicity there. But I plant it basically as a climbing,
    flowering vine. It blooms and fruits non- stop from june to frost.

• agrigirl
    13 years ago

Robert,

I got the seeds. Thank you! Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I actually have not been in my office until earlier this week (family illness has kept me away). At first, when the secretary rattled off the names on packages I had, I could not figure out why I would have one from the company you work for! Then I put two and two together and realized it was you. LOL I used to live in Smyrna about 16 years ago.

Thanks again! I already have them planted in plug trays!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?