Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tenderpod Beans... Order source?

Posted by michauxii East Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 0:05

Other than Burpee's, anyone know where I can order Tenderpod beans?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tenderpod Beans... Order source?

Would a similar variety work for you? Is there a particular reason you want only Tenderpod?

o

If I wanted small quantities of Tenderpod bush beans, I would get them off the rack at Walmart, if Burpee's high catalog price was the issue. If I wanted larger quantities of green bean seeds and I lived in East Texas, I might order seed from Willhite. Contender is a good early bean for the South (with some nematode tolerance), and Festina is heat-resistant. Willhite sometimes treats their seeds with fungicide, but I have gotten Contender bean seeds, and they were not treated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willhite beans

o
RE: Other snap beans for the South

Tendergreen also has some nematode resistance (like Tenderpod). Tendergreen is moderately heat tolerant (not as good in heat as Festina, Brio, etc.) I think it is quite similar to Tenderpod.

o

I've never,ever seen tenderpod beans on a seed rack at Walmart.
We just really enjoy the flavor and texture of these beans.
They can be very difficult to germinate.

Thanks for the replies!

o

I've bought Tenderpod from the Burpee display at Walmart. I gave some to a friend with nematodes in her yard (before I had nematodes in parts of my yard). You might want to give one of the new heat-setting varieties like Brio or Festina a try for a later planting. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

o

Just bought a 28 gram pack from Wal-Mart for $1.50.

o

Tenderpod beans have a genetic trait that causes the crisp tender texture. One of the side effects of this trait is that 1/4 of the seed do not germinate. You should plant these beans up to twice as thick as normal to get a good stand.

DarJones

o

Only one of the two big garden stores in my town has Tenderpod in their Burpee's seed display. I paid $2.49 for an ounce (28 grams).

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here