Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kentucky Life Earth Day Show with Bill Best and Beans

Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 0:49

On the link, Bill Best and the beans story starts at 16:00. It is a great piece. I'm excited to have been filmed in this segment. His seed swap that I attend starts at 22:25 (my old white Buick is the car closest there, lol.) At 22:36 you can see me talking to swappers, and at 23:03 you can see a close up of my table with packets, beans, and tomatoes!
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Kentucky Life Earth Day Show

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kentucky Life Earth Day Show with Bill Best and Beans

Thanks Remy, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Annette

o

That was a great interview!

Bill's new book is also out, "Saving Seed, Preserving Taste". You can buy this book online or Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is selling this, catalog number 91177.

-Tony

o

Hey Tony!

I'm growing Cherokee Striped Cornhill, again this year. First year I grew it, it produced gangbusters, and it was outstanding. The next two years, it almost failed to produce enough seed to replace what I planted. My suspicion is that our EXTREME heat and drought affected it. So, I'm trying again; got it in early, and, this year, so far it looks like we're going to have a milder year.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

I hope the Cherokee Striped does better for you. It usually is an outstanding producer but...like most Appalachian beans (including Cherokee), they do not like extreme heat. Seems most Appalachian beans drop flowers with extreme heat, drought or hot nights. One summer I was having problems getting one bean to set, I then decided to shower it with a sprinkler head on a garden hose every day...in about 10 days, I had tons of pods setting.

Let me know how they do, it is usually a huge producer.

Tony

o

i enjoyed the piece, thanks for sharing it remy.
bill seems like the kinda guy, i would like to spend time with. 600 varieties of beans he is growing, wow!
i was telling my wife tonight, that i might have to put up another bean fence. i can't grow everything i want to grow each year.
i just planted some carmack greasy, and pete ingram fall beans. i have a few other greasy beans i received over the winter. they may have to wait till next year. i am over two weeks behind planting out, due to prolonged cool weather. seed saving might be a challenge this year.
also planted some tennessee red eye fall bean or whatever you want to call them. seed supply needs to be replenished.

keith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here