Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tatianahdz

Black and/or Pinto Beans?

tatianahdz
16 years ago

Hi guys! I'm new to gardening and have myself a nice little vegetable garden started. Just trying to figure this stuff out and grow some of our favorite foods. I was thinking it would be neat to try growing some type of beans, because we eat them fairly often. We especially like black and pinto beans, but we eat a lot of red beans as well. However, I keep reading that heat and humidity can make it hard to grow beans, so I was hoping you guys could tell me whether it would even be worth trying to grow them in Zone 9? If so, which type is easiest? TIA for your help!!!

Comments (2)

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

Pintos are probably the easiest, altho Black Turtle and several cultivars of red beans ( usually associated with Mexico) do well in hot climates like the southwest.

• carolync1
    16 years ago

Pinto beans are grown commercially in Idaho. Where in Zone 9 are you? How hot is your hot weather?

One mistake new gardeners make is to get over-ambitious. It takes a lot of ground and work to grow significant amounts of dried beans at home. But I think it is worthwhile to try some of your favorite varieties if you're going to use them as fresh-shelled beans: "shellies". If it's real hot in summer where you live, you have the choice of planting beans in spring so they will set before hot weather, or planting in about August.

For fall, I would recommend a dual-purpose bean which can be used either as a snap bean when young or as a shelly or dried bean. Some which qualify include Pinto, some black beans. including Black Valentine, and Coco Rose de Prague. Pinto has a string, as do most beans grown primarily for drying. I have grown it in the fall. Some people who like "beany" green beans love Pinto as a green bean, but I usually pick green beans before the seeds develop, and pintos were too flat at this stage for me. I didn't plant early enough for shellies. In some varieties of beans for fresh shelling or drying, the pods are too fibrous to eat as green beans.

You can also start lima beans when the soil temperature reaches 70 degrees. They will grow through very hot summers but will not set pods until the weather cools off. My favorite is Fordhook 242, though there are some good Southern pole varieties, too. I eat them as shellies rather than as dried beans. The pods are not edible. Edemame soybeans are easy to harvest in hot summer weather (just cut off whole branches), and cowpeas and blackeyed peas also do well in very hot weather. My husband's parents like to mix young pods and fresh-shelled blackeyed peas.

If I were a new gardener, I would concentrate my efforts on vegetables where the difference between store-bought and home-grown is very noticeable - tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, summer squashes, eggplant, green beans, salad greens, etc. It's easy to buy dried beans, but not so easy to buy good fresh-shelled beans, which taste sort of similar, but often better.

If you plant at the right time in spring, you can be successful with a lot of varieties of bush green beans, but avoid the New England types like Provider and Bountiful. Contender is a good early "beany" bean, but not good for fall, unless you are growing it as a shelly, as the pods get fibrous in cool weather. Newer, tender and sweet types of green beans which are good in heat (up to about 105 degrees for brief periods) include Brio, Festina and Matador. I've tried Brio in the fall and it does well then, too. You could try some pole beans in spring or fall, too. Some of them also make tasty fresh-shelled or dried beans.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus