Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galina_gw

Rattlesnake bean

galina
16 years ago

Below are two quite different descriptions of Rattlesnake Bean (ph vulgaris). A description similar to the first has been published on this forum last year too.

However I only recognise the second description - fine early snap pods - despite growing on clay in cool conditions in England. My pods are nearly straight and the variety is prolific. Are there two different beans with the name 'Rattlesnake'?

Can anybody shed some light on this? Does anybody know about the origin or history of the 'Rattlesnake'.

Description from Whote Food Market

A hybrid variety, Rattlesnake beans are nearly identical in color to the Pinto bean but with a more blunt shape. They are good bakers and serve as an excellent base for chili or as refried beans. The name comes from the twisted form of the pods while growing

Description from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

73 days. Especially good for sandy soil. 'Rattlesnake' is a heavy producer in the hot, humid areas of the coastal Mid-Atlantic and South coastal areas where sandy soil prevails. Steamed snaps are sweet, rich, and full flavored. Stringless when pods are small to medium size. Vines are vigorous climbers which bear 7 in. round pods containing buff-colored seeds splashed with brown. Pkt.

In our gardens, these produced faster for us than the kentucky wonders. They also ended earlier, and I thought they were easier to pick, cause the vines are a bit more sparse than some other beans.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?