Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rattlesnake bean

Posted by galina england (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 07 at 4:31

Below are two quite different descriptions of Rattlesnake Bean (ph vulgaris). A description similar to the first has been published on this forum last year too.

However I only recognise the second description - fine early snap pods - despite growing on clay in cool conditions in England. My pods are nearly straight and the variety is prolific. Are there two different beans with the name 'Rattlesnake'?

Can anybody shed some light on this? Does anybody know about the origin or history of the 'Rattlesnake'.

Description from Whote Food Market

A hybrid variety, Rattlesnake beans are nearly identical in color to the Pinto bean but with a more blunt shape. They are good bakers and serve as an excellent base for chili or as refried beans. The name comes from the twisted form of the pods while growing

Description from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

73 days. Especially good for sandy soil. 'Rattlesnake' is a heavy producer in the hot, humid areas of the coastal Mid-Atlantic and South coastal areas where sandy soil prevails. Steamed snaps are sweet, rich, and full flavored. Stringless when pods are small to medium size. Vines are vigorous climbers which bear 7 in. round pods containing buff-colored seeds splashed with brown. Pkt.
In our gardens, these produced faster for us than the kentucky wonders. They also ended earlier, and I thought they were easier to pick, cause the vines are a bit more sparse than some other beans.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rattlesnake bean

Below is a picture of the Rattlesnake beans I grew last year...they are the beans to the far right...that match the description from Southern Exposure.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

from what I understand there are no hybryd beans.

o

Thank you Adenn1 and Veggiecanner

Your beans look very similar to what I grew. Thank you also for the confirmation of the description from SESE. Pictures are so helpful and your beans had the same markings and slight curve that mine had.

---------------

You can have hybrid beans, if you go to the trouble and cross two varieties (or experience a chance cross) and then grow plants from the resulting seeds. But I agree, there is no commercially available F1 bean hybrid in the shops. So I guess they mean that Rattlesnake has been bred as a product of a cross between two older beans.

I wish I knew about the origin and history of this variety.

o

• Posted by grandad 9aLa/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 13:43

Just bringing this old post back to life. It looks like now 5 years later, there are numerous sites showing "Rattlesnake Bean Hybrid" references. Anyone know the REAL story on this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here