Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Green Beans Pickle Well?

Posted by bigoledude Z9b Chalmette Louisi (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 6:39

I am running a trial for a business we are starting-up. We will specialize in pickled vegetables. We used supermarket green beans to do our first survey and folks really liked them.

I have the land to grow a lot of green beans and wondered what beans pickle-up the best. They must stay crunchy for the Cajun-Style green beans we do.

I am worried that pole types might be too much hassle to set up and be more problematic to pick.

Was considering Yard-longs because of their excellent production?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Green Beans Pickle Well?

I think Emerite ( a pole type) might give you the crunchiest pickled bean you could imagine.

A hassle to set up, yes. But, easy to pick with vines only to about 6 feet.

I don't know if it would produce well in your area.

Gary

o

I agree with Gary re the pros and cons of pole beans. If you have back trouble and stooping or crouching is a problem, go with the pole beans.

Will you pack the beans vertically in the jars? If so, there will be less waste if the beans are either about the same height as the jar or double the height of the jar. Also, beans which are straight would be advantageous.

Fortex grows nice and straight and can be harvested at 9 inches long. I don't know how its flavor and texture would be as a dilly bean. I haven't tried it. Fortex is only moderately productive.

Jim

o

A straight bean is great idea. I've seen the competition's jars and, it looks like those suckers were put in the jars with robots or something! They are straight as an arrow!

I honestly did not know that there was a straight green bean.

Our summers are brutally hot and humid. It will have to be a bean that can take it.

I'm probably not gonna be doing a lot of the picking. But, if pole beans will far-n-away out- perform bush beans or, if the pole beans handle the heat better, then I might go through the hassle of setting up trellises.

o

The heat does not bother the beans much,,they just will not set pods much when the temps hit in the 90's
I think you are a little late planting beans in your area
Most of my pole beans have runners and I was a little late planting because of the late frosts in mid Mar.
Charlie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here