Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vining Cow Peas/Field Peas

Posted by Gayla_Marie26 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 9:13

I'm limited to raised beds and would like to know if anyone can recommend a good vining cow pea? We love purple hull but have tried that the last couple of years with the Mississippi Pink Eye purple hull and even though they are supposed to be semi vining they never do. I've looked at many, many sites but none seem to mention if the plants have a vining habitat. Can anyone help please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vining Cow Peas/Field Peas

Well, the so-called "yard long" bean is a Vigna cultivar, and that is a true climber. In Fl I have a little cowpea landrace that is also a true climber (and a self-sower in the right conditions), I could probably send you some seed next winter.

Yes, most cowpea cultivars are between true bush and true climbing habit.

o

My favorites are RED RIPPER and RED BISBEE
Both are very simular and will climb to 10 plus feet if given support
Charlie

o

Thanks for the suggestions! hementia8...Does the red ripper or red Bisbee taste more like a crowder? When I look them up they remind me of a crowder pea. pnbrown...I would love some seed! I'll give them a try. :)

o

Thanks for the suggestions! hementia8...Does the red ripper or red Bisbee taste more like a crowder? When I look them up they remind me of a crowder pea. pnbrown...I would love some seed! I'll give them a try. :)

o

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 9:45

GayleMarie26, here is a picture of my BVR pinkeye purple hull peas I planted this year. They are Semi-vining and some have reached 8 feet tall. They haven't had full sun yet as they were partial shaded out by my green beans.

BVR Pinkeye Purplehull Cowpea

photo 20140428_3_zpsa6613192.jpg

Luther

o

I have grown zipper creams for several years. Last year, I had an extra bean teepee in the pea bed just because I needed a spot to put it. Those "bush" zippers found that teepee and went straight up it. They bore more peas than I have ever seen. I wonder if Purple Hulls would do the same if they found something to climb....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here