Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Designing a Trellis

Posted by obrionusa 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 9:36

I'm planning out my trellis for my pole beans. I'm going to make the frame out of 1/2" copper pipe. Either going to bend it or use copper fittings to finish off the arch. Going to close up the one end with fencing. The heighth will be 4-6" taller than me, Width about 30". I will be attaching 6"x6" 5' fencing. The finished product will be 30" wide 6' tall 5' long arch with one end fenced off. I will plant beans about 6" apart. How do you think this will work? I just replumbed my house, Thats the reason for the copper pipe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Designing a Trellis

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 10:50

For the life of me, I can't visualize this arch! Will it be squared off rather than curved from one side to the other side? (Like a rectangle with no bottom line?) Or will it look like an upside-down "U"? Will you have two of these arches spaced 5 feet apart or just one?

o

It will look like an upside down "U" with only one way in and out. Frame made out of copper water pipe and 6" wire mesh. Im making it out of left over plumbing and concrete wire mesh I had laying around. I have a grinder to grind down the edges with. I'm now thinking of making it 5' wide. I just borrowed a rigid conduit bender to bend the copper pipe with. Am I making any sense out of this mess?

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 12:13

Okay, I think I've got some of it now.

So, one upside down U with the legs five feet apart at the bottom. If you make it an upside down U, won't the curved top be at various heights but 6' only at the very top?

I still can't visualize what the 30" applies to (though I get 5 feet wide and 6 feet tall), but then everybody describes visual appearances differently. Maybe somebody else will visualize it perfectly and give you a great answer!

o

After tinkering with it for 30 mins. I decided it was easier to go to Rural King and get a 5'x16' cattle fence and bend it like most others do. Should last my lifetime.

o

Local price for cattle panels is $22 around here in mid Missery, so you probably would have more money in the copper pipe!

Chuck

o

My concern would be that the copper would get heated from the sun and perhaps cause burns to parts of your bean vines. Maybe in zone 6 your sun does not get so serious? this would be a bit of a worry in my zone, so I prefer to use wood and twine.

I will attempt to post (pea thread and IWK thread) a couple of pictures from trellises made from the recycled (free) materials I have. I realize not everybody has the plethora of tree branches we have....

o

I'm not sure what I'm doing this year but last year I put a 6' board with nails in it on the ground and took twine up to the fence boards and down to the nails, up and down and over and that's what my beans grew on...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here