Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fortex beans....the best???

Posted by fireduck 10a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 9:47

I know this may cause a riot....haha. But I constantly run across people who say Fortex is the best tasting and most tender (stringless) beans they grow. Is this true? What is better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fortex beans....the best???

I would imagine this an opinion like all opinions, taken with a grain of salt and valued for what it's worth. What one person loves another not so much. So many variables that a recommendation is the best you can hope for.

o

Depends on what you want to use them for. Emerite is a very good bean that is better for some uses than Fortex. My main complaint about Fortex is that it is not heat tolerant and has limited production. I'm working on a couple of crosses that should address this.

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 9:28

Fortex is a good green bean, tender and with good flavor.

There is another class of snap beans that are eaten when the seeds are fully mature and even when the pods are yellow. They are called full beans. These are the beans of Appalachia and most of them have strings. The very superior flavor and texture make the stringing well worth it. Fortex and Emerite are the type of beans that we eat while waiting for the full beans.

Tobacco Worm and Tennessee Cutshort are two excellent examples. If you want one without strings, there is an Appalachian bean called Hazard Fall or Leslie Tenderpod. All are available under those names. Dick

Here is a link that might be useful: Full Beans

This post was edited by drloyd on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 0:33

o

They're my favorite. I've grown them every year. Great production till frost.Can be eaten at any size.

o

They're my favorite. I've grown them every year. Great production till frost.Can be eaten at any size.

o

thanks to all...I will try and find some!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here