Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't seem to grow sweet peas

Posted by gardenper 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 10:39

Just wanted them for the blooms and also saving the seeds so that I don't have to keep buying them every year, but I can't seem to grow them. They should be a cool weather plant, but it seems like cool weather time in my area (Zone 8) allows them to germinate but then just stay about 4-6" tall until it suddenly gets warmer, and then they die off.

Is it because my zone doesn't have a good gradual increase into summer temperatures (ie, 4 seasons) and instead just kind of goes from winter temperatures to summer temperatures? (Granted this year we still have cool temps even in April but in previous years, we had something like this and then suddenly we're into our hot temps)

I tried them in late winter/early spring as well as fall with similar results. In the fall, my area also kind of has the same issue. Warm temps even up until Thanksgiving and sometimes into December and then the temps drop to 50s or 40s for a while.

This post was edited by gardenper on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 11:23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't seem to grow sweet peas

I know the feeling. I'm in 7b and by the time the soil is warm enough for them to germinate it gets too hot.

This year I sprouted them inside before I planted. They are looking good so far. I just hope the weather cooperates this year!

o

Are we talking about sweet peas (Lathyrus odoratus) or English peas (Pisum sativum)? Pisum sativum does well here in middle Georgia.
Dark Green Perfection photo DGPerfection1_zps0a46492d.jpg

o

Just realized I used the word "crop" when describing them, but I don't intend to use them as a crop. I changed it to "plant". I mean the sweet peas, which I guess would be Lathyrus odoratus.

o
RE sweet peas

My peas are about 2 1/2ft tall and i havn't got any flowers on them.s this normal? I thought i will have had a lot of flowers by now.

o

Are you planting in containers or in the ground? What's the soil mix like?

Seems like you should be able to get at least some peas to form. I'm thinking maybe a nutrient deficiency, hence the reason I ask about the growing medium.

I am attempting peas for a second time after an unsuccessful crop last fall. My peas vines were a good 3-4 feet long, but I didn't manage them well and they never produced anything.

o

We are getting ourselves confused again over the common name 'sweet pea'. The last two posts appear to be discussions Pisum sativum the edible vegetable pea. The OP may be asking about Lathyrus odoratus, grown solely for their flowers and not only not eaten but actually toxic. Or possibly the OP him/herself is mixing up the two. The words 'just wanted them for the blooms' would be redundant if referring to Lathyrus since that is their only purpose in a garden.

Sweet Peas(Lathyrus) grow well in the UK climate because of the slow and gradual increase in temperatures and the low maximum temps. I sow mine in January indoors. You could try starting yours even earlier indoors. That way you might have them advanced enough to bloom before the summer heat gets them.

o

Yes I just mean the sweet pea for that are generally grown for flowers, not for eating. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here