Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long does it take sugar snap peas to sprout direct sowing?

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 10:54

I planted my sugar snap peas about two weeks ago. I started some indoors playing around and they sprouted overnight. Outside, nothing. It was chilly for awhile there, so I'm hoping this week of warm weather might trigger them.

How long should I wait before I start worrying about viability and replant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long does it take sugar snap peas to sprout direct sowing

If it's been chilly two weeks is not unusual. I sowed peas two weeks ago and they are just breaking the surface. You could dig up one pea and check if it has produced a radicle yet.

o

Soil temperature makes a big difference in time to germinate. You can measure soil temperature with an inexpensive kitchen thermometer. Note that soil temperature can be quite different from air temperature, either higher or lower.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Germination Temperature

This post was edited by jimster on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 20:01

o

Agree with previous posts. Here in coastal MA, I planted my Cascadia Peas on April 15. Soil temp was in the fifities. After many years, I have found that planting before the soil warms up a bit is not a productive practice. They are just now all up about an inch. The shady end of my row is a bit slower. Tomorrow, i will set up a row cover over them to discourage various varmints which find them attractive. Peas seem to need cool weather for good pod development, but still need soil that is somewhar warm and friendly for seed germination. Like most of life, a balance of things.
Have fun.

o

Sconticut is right on. I have planted many varieties of green peas in Eastern Oregon, under a wide range of soil/temp conditions. As a rule of thumb I take stand counts 18 to 21 days after planting. Don't be in a hurry to plant sugar snaps. Wait until the soil has warmed to at least 60 degrees F at noon.

o

I have just planted some snap peas 3 days ago. On the package it says: TAKE ONE TO TWO WEEKS. We will see. Beans sprout in about 5 days under current weather.

UPDATE:
Today I scratched the soil to find out what's happening. They are swollen and are developing sprouts. This is 4 days from sowing. They need two more days to poke out.

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 22:14

o

My snap peas sprouted within a couple of days after direct sowing. I do not soak my seeds, but I did have them covered in plastic until they sprouted(keeps the soil warmer) I do the same with my carrot seeds and have had some great success(though they take more like a week to germinate).

o

I did a late planting of both "Sugar Lace" snap peas and "Green Arrow" shelling peas, for a Fall crop. They were planted on July 17th, and the first shoots are breaking ground today, 7 days later. Full emergence should be in another 3-4 days.

In my experience, sugar snaps need warmer soil than most other peas, to get good germination. I had several years of very poor stands when Spring planted, but have much better germination when planted in mid-Summer.

I hope the pair of sandhill cranes that dug up my entire late corn planting doesn't return for the peas. They were just walking out of my rural garden when I drove up... one hour too late. :-0 The DW & I put up a fence today, which will keep out the deer & rabbits... but I'm not sure how much good it will do against pests which can fly!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here