Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

How long does it take sugar snap peas to sprout direct sowing?

CaraRose
10 years ago

I planted my sugar snap peas about two weeks ago. I started some indoors playing around and they sprouted overnight. Outside, nothing. It was chilly for awhile there, so I'm hoping this week of warm weather might trigger them.

How long should I wait before I start worrying about viability and replant?

Comments (7)

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

If it's been chilly two weeks is not unusual. I sowed peas two weeks ago and they are just breaking the surface. You could dig up one pea and check if it has produced a radicle yet.

• jimster
    10 years ago

Soil temperature makes a big difference in time to germinate. You can measure soil temperature with an inexpensive kitchen thermometer. Note that soil temperature can be quite different from air temperature, either higher or lower.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Germination Temperature

This post was edited by jimster on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 20:01

• Rhubarbman
    10 years ago

Sconticut is right on. I have planted many varieties of green peas in Eastern Oregon, under a wide range of soil/temp conditions. As a rule of thumb I take stand counts 18 to 21 days after planting. Don't be in a hurry to plant sugar snaps. Wait until the soil has warmed to at least 60 degrees F at noon.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have just planted some snap peas 3 days ago. On the package it says: TAKE ONE TO TWO WEEKS. We will see. Beans sprout in about 5 days under current weather.

UPDATE:
    Today I scratched the soil to find out what's happening. They are swollen and are developing sprouts. This is 4 days from sowing. They need two more days to poke out.

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 22:14

• wittyraven
    10 years ago

My snap peas sprouted within a couple of days after direct sowing. I do not soak my seeds, but I did have them covered in plastic until they sprouted(keeps the soil warmer) I do the same with my carrot seeds and have had some great success(though they take more like a week to germinate).

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I did a late planting of both "Sugar Lace" snap peas and "Green Arrow" shelling peas, for a Fall crop. They were planted on July 17th, and the first shoots are breaking ground today, 7 days later. Full emergence should be in another 3-4 days.

In my experience, sugar snaps need warmer soil than most other peas, to get good germination. I had several years of very poor stands when Spring planted, but have much better germination when planted in mid-Summer.

I hope the pair of sandhill cranes that dug up my entire late corn planting doesn't return for the peas. They were just walking out of my rural garden when I drove up... one hour too late. :-0 The DW & I put up a fence today, which will keep out the deer & rabbits... but I'm not sure how much good it will do against pests which can fly!!!

Sponsored