Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peas

Posted by dou47620 Z6b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 07 at 10:56

My peas are up about 1.5 inches and then we have had this cold snap--3 nights of freeze and forecast is next two nights of hard freeze. Should I worry and can I do anything about it?

dou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peas

I think peas can handle the amount of cold you will be getting from now on. My grandmother always planted peas on Good Friday in Western New York.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Peas

o

I planted my peas in the fall for a winter crop (I live in northern California), and they survived numerous freezes. During the really cold (icy) weather, I thought they looked a little sickly, but when it warmed up a little bit they took off and formed a jungle, with pea pods everywhere.

o

dou,

I don't know where you are, but I hope the record low temps that hit many parts of the country did not harm your peas. That's not what I was expecting when I made my first reply.

Jim

o

I live in central Georgia and took a hit from the cold weather. It only got a little below freezing for a night or two, but it appears I lost a few white acre, sandandy and red ripper peas. One plant may be fine, but then the next one may be completely down. Was that way over about 3 acres. My watermelons were not so lucky as it appears about half of them are dead. My wife lost about a third of her squash plants.

o

Three acres? Man, I feel bad for you. I hope your yield won't be hurt too much. Sorry about those melons and squash.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here