Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadowdreamer

Green bean Rookie ;)

meadowdreamer
12 years ago

I have never grown green beans but want to give it a shot this year. It may be too late? Do you have to start them from seeds or can you buy them already started at local nurseries.

Comments (7)

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Direct seed. Bush beans you can start now and plant until about August 15 in most areas of Tennessee. Pole beans about the first of May. In East Tennessee, one planting will provide extended picking.
    {{gwi:1022060}} {{gwi:1022061}}

• happyday
    12 years ago

It isn't too late. It's just the right time. You start peas when the ground is cold and beans when the ground is warm. It takes only 3 to 5 months for beans, you have plenty of time.

As long as the ground is past the danger of freezing and maybe rotting the seed, get your dried bean seed and put them in the ground now. You may want to buy the innoculant if this is the first time beans were grown in your soil.

Don't waste money buying pre-sprouted beans. Nobody sells them anyway. Beans sometimes resent transplanting. Get your beans in dry and have the trellis in place if pole and a rabbit fence if bush. A simple 12" push in place wire garden edging, sold in rolls in most stores, will deter most rabbits. Unless they are really hungry or determined they probably won't climb it or dig under, as long as there is plenty of grass and clover outside the fence.

I used to pre sprout seeds but now I put them in dry, and as soon as it rains they come up right in place, no gravity changes disturbing the root direction, no breaks of the fragile sprout due to handling and the trellis right there for them to climb.

Just till the ground a bit, have the trellis or fence ready, put innoculant in and put seeds in, walk away and wait for rain. Later pull weeds or smother them with a mulch of grass clippings. Nothing could be easier.

• meadowdreamer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both soooo much! Innoculant it is. I'll get them in the ground this week! Hopefully I'll have photos to share later in the season. :-)

• mawma
    12 years ago

So glad to see someone new getting into gardening. Believe it or not I actually saw some green beans that were for sale to set out. I thought either how lazy or how stupid, they were way to big to transfer. I have transfered beans when I have had volunteers come up in the wrong place. But there were just starting to come up & I got plenty of dirt with them & made sure they got water, some done alright others didn't. Good Luck & Welcome to gardening, it's habit forming, fun & frustrating at times.

• ladybug_la
    12 years ago

This is my first time growing green beans too. I started them from seed about a 6 weeks ago and got them in the about a month back. I planted 3 plants under the trellis.

They are about 2 feet tall. I had a few questions.

1. Are they going to grow taller? I thought they would have to br trained to go over the trellis and will spread.

2. I have picked about 10 beans off of them. Isn't this a bit early for fruit? Is it normal?

3. I give them fish emulsion once a week and organic granular fertilizer once a month. Is there anything else I need to feed?

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Name that variety. sounds like you planted a bush bean.

• ladybug_la
    12 years ago

Thanks farmerdill. I went home and looked at the seed pkt again. In small print it said "Bush". I guess, it is in the wrong place and not much I can do about it now, short of yanking it out.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions