Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hementia8

Richard Schoolmaster collection

hementia8
10 years ago

Has anyone else receive his collection of beans
Richard passed away in a tractor mishap last Aug. and Sindi in Mi. took on the tedious job of distributing his collection.
Thanks Sindi for taking on this tedious task
I received the following:pole beans
BRAIGTON /ASHLEY POLISH
FALSETTI
FLETCHER FAMILY
GOLD OF BACAU
ITALIAN not the same description as that in the 1997 yearook
JENNINGS
JOYCE FETERLEY'S
MISSOURI WONDER
PINK TIP GREASY
SALLY'S ITALIAN aka SISTER SALLY
STRIPED CORNFIELD
STANGENBOHNE ILAN
TENNESEE WONDER
Has anyone grown these and what were your experience
Charlie

This post was edited by hementia8 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 11:58

Comments (9)

• sea_kangaroo
    10 years ago

Hi Charlie and everybody! I also received a big pile of beans from that collection. A few of the ones I didn't request are ones I've grown before:

I got Pink Tip Greasy in a trade last year (half of somebody's packet from Bill Best), and it did well for me. I didn't get to eat many of them since I was out of town during a critical part of their maturity, but they were quite productive. Lots of fat little pods, turning yellow with a pink blush. A few had an all-over purple blush. They started blooming in June and the full/shelly harvest was mid-late August. The vines climbed but weren't super-vigorous.

I also got Herrenböhnli in a trade from Austria last year. "Gentlemen's Little Bean." A shell/dry bean with little pods and tiny seeds, described by my Austrian friend as "a cross between a bean and a joke." Those also made a lot of seed and didn't have particularly vigorous vines. The seeds were bright candy-pink when first shelled out, drying to brownish-pink. Haven't tasted them yet. Those I planted in late June, were blooming in early August, and had dry beans from early September.

I'm particularly curious if anybody's grown Ohio Pole or Zona Upchurch Goose before; those have seeds that look identical to Rose from Bill Best's collection, which I really like. Huge thick succulent pods.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Hementia, the only one from your list that I've grown was the "Striped Cornfield". It is mentioned somewhere in this forum... can't find it quickly, though. It is a heavy-bearing variety, with very good shellies that pack the pod like peas, and an outstanding dry seed yield. My seed is due for renewal, but I won't get to it this year due to other priorities... such as the beans in this thread.

My hat's off to Sindi for the outstanding job she did disseminating Richard's collection. I only asked for 4 bean varieties, 3 of which were not listed in the 2014 Yearbook:
    "Herrenbohnli"
    "Sargas"
    "Cascade Giant"

And about 18 seeds of "Lilaschecke", which was in short supply. Interestingly, that seed looks nearly identical to another pole wax bean I've grown, "Olteanu's Romanian Yellow".

I hope to grow at least 2 of the first 3 for seed this year.

• drloyd
    10 years ago

Pink Tip Greasy did not like our climate and did not make mature seed.

I got Striped Cornfield from Zeedman several years ago. My seed also needs a grow out. Hmm. Anyway it does well here in the PNW. The short, round, red and fat pods are string free and we used them as full beans. The shellies are spherical, large and tasty. - Dick

• thinking_stomach
    10 years ago

I'm also a lucky inheritor of part of the collection--33 varieties! I'm sharing them with members of my community produce exchange; I gave a crash-course on bean seed saving to the participating members, and each one is returning at least 25 seeds of each variety they're growing, so I can continue to share with other folks.

Right now, from the Schoolmaster collection, I already have the following in the ground:
    Falsetti
    Herren bohnli
    Succotash
    Tucomares Chocolate

Others that I've taken responsibility for will go in for a fall planting.

To Hementia8: I've grown Gold of Bacau before and have really enjoyed. It's similar to my favorite wax romano type, Goldmarie. Also, I've grown Pink Tip Greasy before, and it didn't do well for me. I'm not sure if it was too hot, or what. I'd try it again, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Thinking Stomach

• hementia8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks folks for the reply
    Your input will be very helpfull
    Most are doing well so far
    Having to replant some because of the flooding we have been having
    Charlie

• sea_kangaroo
    9 years ago

How'd everybody's seeds do? The growing season here still has another two months to go, but my main harvest is done and it's definitely starting to cool down. I had a good season overall though the weirdly humid (for California) weather saw me have some pretty vicious powdery mildew on my bean plants for the first time ever, so I haven't been able to eat any of the later season snaps. Anyway, of Richard Schoolmaster's seeds I grew:

Zona Upchurch Goose: Late pole snap with pink-streaked fleshy pods. Seeds look just like Rose, but the pods weren't quite as big. One of the plants was an interesting mutant/outcross. Three months to flowers and another month to the first dry beans.
    Tucomares Chocolate/Mixed: Productive runner bean that made a towering 12' hedge. Some all-red flowers and some bicolors. About 7 different patterns/colors so far. Most of the beans were finely-speckled black over tan or pink, and hardly any were the eponymous "chocolate" dark brown pattern. Two quart jars of seeds so far and still going. Planted early May and dry bean harvest started early August.
    Ohio Pole: Same description as Zona Upchurch (no outcrosses, though).
    Lilaschecke: Pole bean with wide, purple-streaked and -blushed pods. Some of my seeds turned out solid purple instead of purple & white, but as all of them had less white than those I planted so I think it's just natural variation from soil conditions, like Russ Crow documents in Pawnee halfway down this page: http://www.abeancollectorswindow.com/photoalbum.html
    These seeds looked just like Heavenly Gold, a snap I also grew this year for the first time, but I think the pods were a little different.
    Hopi Pole: Lima bean with either solid red seeds, or bright orange with red speckles. Mostly the orange & red ones. 2-3 seeds per pod, very sharp tips on the dry pods. In the middle of its season right now.
    Brazilian Carioca: Didn't get very much off of this since I held the transplants in pots too long and the resulting plants were terribly stunted. The second planting started flowering a couple weeks ago so hopefully that'll go better.
    Anellino Giallo: I was dubious, but it really is pretty neat to see the rows of curled-up pods, like a vine full of 6s or cocktail shrimp or something. I tried some at the lumpy stage and they were tender and stringless. Early pole, with yellow pods that get red streaks.

The tomatoes got a late start so are going to be producing entirely in the fall. Opalka was the earliest, though has been suffering from blossom end rot. Jericho lettuce is just starting to bloom.

And finally, here's my photos of this year's bean results, organized alphabetically:
    album
    (it's only Schoolmaster seeds at the moment but will have the rest of my 2014 legumes later).

9 years ago

Bad weather prevented me from planting much of what I had planned... and the one of these beans that I did plant ("Sargas") rotted in the ground. It had a lot of company, half of my garden flooded in June, and all of the beans, cowpeas, and soybeans on that side were total losses.

Fortunately, I always hold back seed in case of failure, so I have enough to try again next year... this time started in pots, to increase the chance of success.

• jnaugsberg
    8 years ago

I have received some white beans labeled Italian Snap Dry Pole Bean, original seed from Richard Schoolmaster. Can you tell me more about him and this bean? Thanks.

7 years ago

Had my memory of this thread jogged by a question on another forum...

In 2015, a second attempt with "Sargas" was successful. It proved to be a very productive dry bean, with deep golden yellow seeds about the same size & shape as "Great Northern".

This year, I started "Cascade Giant" as transplants. Because I grew it in one of my better-drained home plots, it was one of the few beans planted on time. It produced 5-6" round, striped pods similar to "Rattlesnake". However, in what turned out to be a great year for most of my beans, the performance was disappointing; it may be poorly adapted to my climate. Nothing 'giant' about it.

On a related note... "Tucomares Chocolate" is one of the beans mentioned; I may have been Richard's original source. I have been trying for several years to clean out the impurities which had been present in the original seed; in 2015, that effort appears to have succeeded. With a 30-foot row, all plants had pure brown seed.

The weather has been increasingly uncooperative in recent years, but I hope to grow "Herrenbohnli" in 2017.

Sponsored