Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Richard Schoolmaster collection

Posted by hementia8 8 MS (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 11:39

Has anyone else receive his collection of beans
Richard passed away in a tractor mishap last Aug. and Sindi in Mi. took on the tedious job of distributing his collection.
Thanks Sindi for taking on this tedious task
I received the following:pole beans
BRAIGTON /ASHLEY POLISH
FALSETTI
FLETCHER FAMILY
GOLD OF BACAU
ITALIAN not the same description as that in the 1997 yearook
JENNINGS
JOYCE FETERLEY'S
MISSOURI WONDER
PINK TIP GREASY
SALLY'S ITALIAN aka SISTER SALLY
STRIPED CORNFIELD
STANGENBOHNE ILAN
TENNESEE WONDER
Has anyone grown these and what were your experience
Charlie

This post was edited by hementia8 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 11:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Richard Schoolmaster collection

Hi Charlie and everybody! I also received a big pile of beans from that collection. A few of the ones I didn't request are ones I've grown before:

I got Pink Tip Greasy in a trade last year (half of somebody's packet from Bill Best), and it did well for me. I didn't get to eat many of them since I was out of town during a critical part of their maturity, but they were quite productive. Lots of fat little pods, turning yellow with a pink blush. A few had an all-over purple blush. They started blooming in June and the full/shelly harvest was mid-late August. The vines climbed but weren't super-vigorous.

I also got Herrenböhnli in a trade from Austria last year. "Gentlemen's Little Bean." A shell/dry bean with little pods and tiny seeds, described by my Austrian friend as "a cross between a bean and a joke." Those also made a lot of seed and didn't have particularly vigorous vines. The seeds were bright candy-pink when first shelled out, drying to brownish-pink. Haven't tasted them yet. Those I planted in late June, were blooming in early August, and had dry beans from early September.

I'm particularly curious if anybody's grown Ohio Pole or Zona Upchurch Goose before; those have seeds that look identical to Rose from Bill Best's collection, which I really like. Huge thick succulent pods.

o

Hementia, the only one from your list that I've grown was the "Striped Cornfield". It is mentioned somewhere in this forum... can't find it quickly, though. It is a heavy-bearing variety, with very good shellies that pack the pod like peas, and an outstanding dry seed yield. My seed is due for renewal, but I won't get to it this year due to other priorities... such as the beans in this thread.

My hat's off to Sindi for the outstanding job she did disseminating Richard's collection. I only asked for 4 bean varieties, 3 of which were not listed in the 2014 Yearbook:
"Herrenbohnli"
"Sargas"
"Cascade Giant"

And about 18 seeds of "Lilaschecke", which was in short supply. Interestingly, that seed looks nearly identical to another pole wax bean I've grown, "Olteanu's Romanian Yellow".

I hope to grow at least 2 of the first 3 for seed this year.

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 22:10

Pink Tip Greasy did not like our climate and did not make mature seed.

I got Striped Cornfield from Zeedman several years ago. My seed also needs a grow out. Hmm. Anyway it does well here in the PNW. The short, round, red and fat pods are string free and we used them as full beans. The shellies are spherical, large and tasty. - Dick

o

I'm also a lucky inheritor of part of the collection--33 varieties! I'm sharing them with members of my community produce exchange; I gave a crash-course on bean seed saving to the participating members, and each one is returning at least 25 seeds of each variety they're growing, so I can continue to share with other folks.

Right now, from the Schoolmaster collection, I already have the following in the ground:
Falsetti
Herren bohnli
Succotash
Tucomares Chocolate

Others that I've taken responsibility for will go in for a fall planting.

To Hementia8: I've grown Gold of Bacau before and have really enjoyed. It's similar to my favorite wax romano type, Goldmarie. Also, I've grown Pink Tip Greasy before, and it didn't do well for me. I'm not sure if it was too hot, or what. I'd try it again, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Thinking Stomach

o

Thanks folks for the reply
Your input will be very helpfull
Most are doing well so far
Having to replant some because of the flooding we have been having
Charlie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here