Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloomin_onion

Beans and Transplant shock?

Bloomin_Onion
9 years ago

Hi all, new here, from Southern Manitoba, Canada. :) I put down the zip code for Pembina, ND as my zone because it's about an hour and a half drive south of my house, the site couldn't recognize Canadian postal codes. But the weather is on average about 3-5 degrees cooler year round in contrast to Northern North Dakota. (cold lol)

I have zero experience with growing most of anything, but did lots of research before starting. I got all "MacGyver" one day and built an indoor greenhouse and went and bought some "full spectrum sun lights" by "SunBlaster and have grown from seed:
Beans
Cucumber
Tomato
Green beans (anyone know what "stringless beans are? rod or bush?")
Yellow Squash
Green Squash
Bell Peppers
Basil, Dill, Parsley, Lavender and a few Sunflowers.

My designated gardening area beside my condo is a long, skinny lot of soil about 18' X 4'. It's already had stuff grown in it, when we moved in the last tenant left fruiting cucumbers and tomatoes. The soil is dark and rich (probably had some topsoil added to it)

Ok so we planted the seeds in 18"long X 9"wide X 2"deep flats and they grew to like 1"-4" tall depending on the plant. The beans were the quickest to grow, and yesterday I transplanted them into their own little pots. I don't think I'll ever use seed flats again, because all the roots had spread out and created a lightly bound root "carpet" under the soil. They were all like this, but especially the Beans! The roots went all the way across the flat in only 2 weeks of indoor growth, and transplanting made me think of what Gastrointestinal surgery must have been like in the 1800's. It was just brutal, and now my beans are in shock even though I tried not to damage the roots.

So even though I guess I know this site has lots of areas for basically every plant I listed off, any general help or advice on growing any of these would really be appreciated, but for this area my question is about the shock of my poor beans. Anything I can do to keep them from dying? The leaves used to face up like umbrellas and now they're facing to the side and not as "firm" as before. My husband planted these ones in particular and I'd hate to lose them. Also, any advice on the second transplant into the garden? Our growing season here is short, which is why I couldn't start them in the ground. The ground here was frozen 9 feet deep this year, and is still frozen past the head of a shovel and there's still patches of snow on the ground here.

Thanks in advance and sorry for overloading everyone with info!! :)

Comments (3)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I also have to start my early beans inside so there is no problem with transplanting them. But yours look ready for outside now. And from what you say outside isn't ready for them. I don't know your climate at all but I think you may have started them too early. Have you got anywhere very light and fairly cool where you could try to keep them ticking over until the ground is ready? Or maybe you'll have to start again.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 11:30

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

As someone else who gardens in a cold climate with a short growing season, I tend to agree with Flora - you started your beans too early. Your bean transplants are nearly ready to go into the ground, with warm weather still weeks away.

While I can direct seed most common beans here with a good chance of success, I use a lot of bean transplants. For heat-loving beans such as limas & yardlongs, transplants are virtually necessary in my area to ensure a good harvest. It is also good practice to use bean transplants if you have limited seed or temperamental Spring weather, since it overcomes cool-soil germination issues & means that nearly every seed which germinates will survive. And if growing a bean for seed, it increases the chance of getting dry seed before wet Fall weather arrives.

I would never use flats filled with soil though, for the reasons given in the OP. My preferred method is to use peat strips, with sterile soil less mix. Planted pot & all, this avoids root damage during transplanting. 32's work well for larger beans, and 50's for smaller beans & Vignas (cowpeas, yardlongs, adzuki).

To further lessen transplant shock, place a little sand in the bottom of the tray & nestle the peat strips into it after planting. Provided the sand is kept moist (but not overly wet) those long bean roots will not be air pruned, but will grow into the sand. At the time of transplanting, those roots can be gently pulled from the sand. Working quickly to keep the roots from drying out, gently coil them into the hole beneath the plant, then water immediately. I have had virtually no transplant shock using this method.

As a rule, I consider beans to be ready for transplanting when they have their first true leaf. This generally takes about 2 weeks, so I start bean transplants that much earlier than the recommended date for direct seeding. If transplanting is delayed by bad weather, I've held bean transplants up to a month before planting. Much beyond that, though, and they will become stunted.

For squash & cucumbers, I use the same procedures as above, except I omit the sand. It is worth noting that it takes an intense light source to grow beans, cukes, and squash indoors, or they quickly become leggy... shop lights are not up to the task (spoken from experience). If at all possible, those transplants should be placed in direct sunlight as soon as possible after germination.

• drloyd
    9 years ago

I learned about using peat pots from Zeedman. I start them indoors about May 15 and as soon as they emerge, they go into the greenhouse where they get more light. Then at the age of about two weeks they go outdoors about June 1.

Some years our soil might not get up to 65 F until July so I also start some in potting mix but only 48 hours before they go outside. If the single roots are still short they transplant fine.

My daughter brought over some small sunflowers in pots about April 1st. She wanted them to stay in my grow light until they could go outside.....