Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Should I shade my peas?

Unusually hot spring here. 90's today. My peas are still healthy but not blooming yet. Should I provide them some shade?

Comments (12)

• cindy_ga
    12 years ago

Hey!

Shading them is probably a good thing if you can do it. The other thing that seems to help is mulching them deeply. Mine are just flowering now. I've installed a soaker hose on their feet and wheat straw and they are looking perky. Temps have been brutal here for peas... 90s and counting.

Cindy

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have one of those pop up shade thingy's, so it isn't hard to shade them. Only takes about 5 minutes. I put it up Tue. and added more mulch.

They get morning sun until about 11 and shaded the rest of the day. I'll probably have to take it down this evening, they are predicting thunderstorms.

Thanks!

• royceag
    12 years ago

Question: if I haven't started my peas yet (I'm going to direct sow), should I wait until next late winter or can I get away with it right now? I'm so concerned about the impending, unrelenting heat which is just days away. Won't my peas (shell & snow) be terribly unhappy? Many thanks!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, they will be unhappy. They don't like heat.

• royceag
    12 years ago

Thanks! Well, grumble, grumble! So, I have to wait until next year then. When do I start in this area?

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in 7b also, but in SC. Feb.1-15. According to NC State yours might be earlier/later. Jan. 1-Mar. 15. Do a search for the closest extension service near you and they should have a planting table like the one below.

Here is a link that might be useful: NC state guide.

• cindy_ga
    12 years ago

I have sugar snaps (Cascadia) and snow peas (CAROUBY DE MAUSSANE). The snow peas have the most awesome purple flowers - just beautiful to look at. Going to try posting a photo...

{{gwi:1022171}}

The snow peas are still too small to eat - will report back on taste.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are pretty! Mine are trying to bloom, but haven't opened.

• cindy_ga
    12 years ago

Ted! How are your peas doing? This cool weather has given mine new life. I'm having a huge harvest right now - perhaps the best harvest I have ever had from beans. The snow peas (purple flowers above) are doing much better than any others I've planted. The snaps are doing well too. This year I planted them on the north side of the garden and let them climb the garden fence instead of setting up separate support for them. Much less trouble and good results. They do look kind of funny now, the cold temps and north wind of the last few days has made them lean south, but they're producing fabulously. I've tried freezing these in the past and they seem to turn into mush when thawed. Anyone have luck in preserving snaps/snow peas?

Cindy

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They have started making a few pods. The weather is perfect for them now so I took the shade off. I've never tried freezing snaps, only shelled.

• ned1
    12 years ago

oh wow. I'm growing those snow peas next year. CAROUBY DE MAUSSANE, where did you get the seed?

• cindy_ga
    12 years ago

I think I got these from Pinetree seeds - link below. They are very tasty and are about five feet tall. And more prolific than other snow peas have been. The peas will grow in the pod and are both tasty even when large.

Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: CAROUBY DE MAUSSANE

Sponsored