Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing for Seeds or Dry Beans

Posted by lexusnexus 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 13:31

I have absolutely no knowledge or experience in doing this. A few questions.

1. Are there problems like you have with tomato hybrids reverting back to a parent plant?

2. How long do you wait until you harvest them?

3. Do you have to do any additional drying after pulling them off the plant?

4. Other than cleaning them is there anything else you have to do to store them?

5. Any special storage requirements?

I'd rather ask these questions all at once than do a slow leak of them.

Thanks,

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing for Seeds or Dry Beans

1. As long as you are growing common beans (P. vulgaris) ther are no hybrids commercially available. They also do dot readily cross, so you will be fine on that score.
2, The pods should dry or close to it for harvest. Let dry on a rack a few days before shelling.
3. If you hand shell, cleaning is not necessary. If you thresh you just to remove the bits and pieces of shell.
4- 5 They need to stored ina cool dry spot. Where weevils are problem, they can be stored in the freezer when perfectly dry

o

I'll give it a shot.

1. Are there problems like you have with tomato hybrids reverting back to a parent plant?

Not usually for seeds, and never for eating. Beans are OP normally. There can be some crosses if other beans are grown nearby but you would never taste the difference in the dried beans. The only effect would be in the next generation of plants if they cross.

2. How long do you wait until you harvest them?

It is best to let them dry as much as you can on the plant, weather providing.

3. Do you have to do any additional drying after pulling them off the plant?

It depends on weather and other factors. But to be on the safe side it is best to shell and dry inside for a few days.

4. Other than cleaning them is there anything else you have to do to store them?

5. Any special storage requirements?

4 and 5 Just put them in an air tight container in the cupboard or other dry place out of the sun.

Farmerdill must have been typing at the same time as me! Follow his advise OP!

This post was edited by wertach on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 12:58

o

Thanks for your replies. I truly appreciate it. My partner and I love beans, both green and wax. Have been thinking I can grow the last row of bush beans as seed beans for the next year.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here