Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English peas and fertilizer

Posted by oldpea 8NE Tx (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 13:34

I was wondering if English peas need fertilizer. The Little Marvel peas vines look very small compared to the picture Farmadilla posted. The lower leaves also have some yellowing, but the new growth looks fine. The wind blows so much lately and we've had roller coaster temperatures, 28 one night and 77 with wind the same week, hail, tornados. Gee, maybe I should just be glad the peas are still alive : )
This year may present some special challenges, for a lot of us, to say the least.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: English peas and fertilizer

Depending on the fertility of your soil, English peas may need some fertilizer. I prefer an NPK ratio of 1-2-1. Phosphate is perhaps the most important, but especially early in cool weather just a touch of nitrate will help get them going. Very little tho. Little Marvel is small by nature, but should get 12 inches or so when blooming.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 16:41

oldpea

I gotta' agree about the weather. I have some hardened off tomato plants I'm holding back on planting until the night temps are predicted to stay in the 50s, and that isn't coming up this week, still in the low to mid 40s.

Probably good pea-growing weather but I didn't plant my Aldermans this spring, thought it was too late to get them harvested and replace them with my summer beans in time.

FarmerDee, I thought nitrogen was the kiss of death for peas! Interesting to learn that they'll do well with a bit of it.

o

Thank you, farmerdilla. I don't consider English peas a 'real' pea. To me they're just a good vegetable.
I do know southern peas don't do well with added nitrogen.
Same here on the tomatoes, anney.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here