Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole beans in a 3 gallon root pouch?

Posted by meagan_myers z7b8a/AR (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 13:49

Hi all you bean experts,
I also posted this in the container garden forum, but I got to thinking you guys might be the right ones to ask. I wanted to plant some pole beans to make a green bean teepee for my son. I have to use raised beds and containers (I live on solid rock). So my thought was to put the root pouches (fabric pots like a smart pot) in a semi-circle to plant the beans and put the stakes in. I haphazardly ordered the 3 gallon root pouches (largest size the seller had at the moment). Will these be large enough? I was thinking 3 seeds per bag. Would this be ok? Could I even plant 4-5 seeds per 3 gallon root pouch? I have Fortex pole beans if that matters. Also the bags are 10" x 8.5"
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole beans in a 3 gallon root pouch?

I'm trying something new this year that may work for you. Go to a place that sells metal culverts and buy the band, or ring, that joins two culverts together. They are heavy-duty metal that will last a loooong time. They come in different sizes. The ones I bought are 36" across x 13" high. Perfect for me. The price is about $25. I plan to do a bean tepee in one of them. Potatoes are coming up already in some of the others.

o

Meagan, I have only ever tried container growing of pole beans once, I used a five gallon bucket and did two or three plants on a pole. It worked, but I came away with the impression that the beans were suffering from being crowded. Hopefully someone with more experience will show up. But from my perspective, I'd recommend trying one plant per bag.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

Thaks sweetquitplace. I will keep that in mind for another project. But for this one, I need the teepee to be less permenant (going in the middle of the yard).

macmex- One per 3 gallons sounds like I made an $$ error in purchasing that size.

But I thought bean plants generally have smaller root systems? I was hoping I could get away with three per 3 gallon root pouch.

o

Meagan, perhaps you can get away with it. I'm just sharing my impression based on a one time experiment. Was really hoping someone with more experience would drop in and tell us.

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here