Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Insuk's Wang Kong

ruthz
13 years ago

I received Insuk's Wang Kong seeds in the bean swap.

They look a lot like Scarlet Runner. Scarlet Runner beans don't do well for me at all in out Texas heat.

Does anyone know if these will be basically the same?

I only space for a few kinds and want to grow the ones that has the best chance.

Comments (16)

• flintknapper
    13 years ago

ruthz, they are a runner bean. I live in Orange county in southeast Texas and I planted a row of them last year. They grew real good and loaded up with real pretty red blooms that didn't polinate. The vines died in July and I harvested a grand total of 11 seed. They probably will do the same for you.
    flintknapper

• ruthz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks flintknapper, that's what happened when I tried to grow Scarlet Runner beans. I think I'll just pass on trying these.

• happyday
    13 years ago

Maybe Texans could grow runner beans if they planted in the fall and grew over the winter?

• happyday
    13 years ago

PS hummingbirds visited my IWK blooms so maybe they'd be worth planting as an ornamental even if you don't get a big crop.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

happyday, I never saw a hummer at my Scarlet Runner beans.
    I have other things they seem to prefer like Salvia, Turks Cap, Coral Honeysuckle, Rose of Sharon, Lantana and Butterfly Bushes.
    I think I'll just pass these on to someone that can grow them.

• jwr6404
    13 years ago

Ruthz
    I've sent these seeds to Arizona and the folks have had success with them by planting them between November -February. Some have staggered their planting to see what works best for them. They would be a beautiful off season crop for you.

• flintknapper
    13 years ago

How cold hardy are these plants? We had a low of 19 degrees plus 6 more days that were 25 degrees or colder. It killed most of the fava beans I had. Only one of five varieties did any thing.

• happyday
    13 years ago

Mine have survived overnight frosts in fall.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Mine died off in a freeze and came back from the roots but last year I didn't get any bean so crossing my fingers this year!

• happyday
    13 years ago

It killed most of the fava beans I had. Only one of five varieties did any thing.

Flintknapper, which varieties of favas are you growing and which survived the frost? I'm growing Express this year, just planted it and how they are talking about snow this weekend.

• flintknapper
    13 years ago

Happyday, I received four varieties in a trade labled aquadulce,egyptian,superaguadulce and broad windsor. I bought negreta from Territorial Seed and it is the only one that didn't freeze ( 19 degrees low temp). It bloomed all winter but the blooms kept freezing. As the weather warmed the blooms started setting pods and I ate one picking. I am saving seed and that is the only variety I will plant this winter.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

flintknapper, I've only had canned fava beans and did not care for them. Do you eat them as snaps or dried?
    When do you plant them for a cold weather crop?

• flintknapper
    13 years ago

ruthz.I planted them October 5. I ate them as fresh shelled beans and I liked them.If I mature enough of them next year I will also try them dry.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I buy fresh favas in April, usually I can only buy them the first two weeks of April at Sprouts, our local "Health Food" Grocery store. I just take them out of the pod like shellies, the ones in our store are still rather tender. I cook for 10-15 minutes until tender and enjoy. I don't bother to take the outer skin off as recommended in most recipes. I think for more mature ones you might need to.

• Ebru74
    13 years ago

As for Fava beans; they are quite popular in Mediterranean area.
    When they are thin, smaller and crispy (very early developed beans inside) placed them into boiled water 'till they are soft (not mushy) and take it to the plate.
    As for dressing ; mix inside of one slice of bread, some olive oil (1 -2tablespoon), salt, 1-2 cloves crushed garlic and 1/2 lemon juice in glass cup.
    Pour some olive oil, lemon juice , salt and chopped dill (optional but gives unbelievable flavor) and salt on fava beans in the plate. Place the mushy mix on top (it needs to look like decorative since bread mix is quite strong).

You can do same thing with fresh fava beans (mature) too. Don't forget to make a small cut on the bean before throwing in to water. You can add artichoke with the fava beans.
    If you have dry fava beans (shelled) soak them into water overnight (1,5 cup is enough) drain them and place into pot with one small carrot, 1 small onion, salt, 1/2 lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 -4 cups of water. Boil them 'till all mushy. Place all in blender. Put it back in the pot and boil it in low heat one more time 'till gets ticker. Mix with chopped dill and place in a glass bowl. Keep it in the fridge 2-3 hours. Turn the cup upside down to take it on a flat plate and serve with lemon juice, olive oil as a side dish. Grilled fish and this makes a great combination, yummm:)

I have plenty of recipes but those are the one I can remember right now...
    Enjoy!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

I was dunging out my greenhouse this morning, looking at a pot with no label with some dead looking bits sticking up. I started to dump it when the light bulb came on. IWK runner roots that's what they are and low and behold they're starting to sprout. I only planted 6 beans last year and they grew gang busters. If I plant these roots will I get beans earlier, that is if they grow.

Annette

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH