Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tellis for snow and sweet peas + runner beans

Posted by topnotchveggie 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 14:06

Planting snow peas, sweet peas, runner beans and other select legumes. I know I must use some type of tellis system for the vegetables to thrive, what has worked for you in previous growing seasons that you would recommend? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tellis for snow and sweet peas + runner beans

This is how I make a trellis for my beans and peas. I pound 2x2 or larger posts into the soil about 5 feet apart. I then take a batten slat or any 1x1 or narrower and nail it to the bottom of each post about 5 inches from the soil line. Nail another at the top of the post. Drive small nails into both slats, about 6 inches apart and leave 1/2 of nail exposed. Put these small nails in before you attach the slat to the post. Using good quality twine, [butcher string works good] weave top to bottom along the length. Instead of nails, small hooks would work well. Take it apart in the fall and you're set to reassemble in the spring. Just set the post and attach the slats.

o
RE: Tellis for snow and sweet peas + runner beans

This is my first year doing pole beans. I have found on this post photos of a cattle panel hooked on each end and bent to make an arch.. I just bought one and plan to the the same with mine. Do a search and you will find that 20 bucks is a small investment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here