Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

My Italian Beans (Auntie Vi) Part 3

For those of you who have my Auntie Vi Italian Pole Beans....

The search for the identity of this bean is over. Mrs. Emelia Fulla brought them with her when she immigrated from Italy in 1911, she was from the town St. Peitro in the province of Udine in northern Italy.

Her grandson was here this morning and confirmed they were one of the beans she brought over with her when she immigrated, the family doesn't have them anymore so he was very happy I could supply him enough beans to grow and share with friends and family.

I asked him about the name I had given them, that maybe they should be named for his grandmother, he said to leave it as is, so, Auntie Vi Italian Pole it is. As to the name I gave them, Vi stands for Vancouver Island. Another mystery solved :).

Annette

Comments (11)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess we still don't know which variety it is, if it ever had a name. We just know the who brought and when this bean landed on this side of the pond. 2011 makes it 100 years this bean has been grown here. Just a youngster in the heirloom department.

Annette

• happyday
    13 years ago

Would be great if we had members in Italy who could tell if it is still grown there, and what they call it.

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

That's really great that the family now has them again!
    Remy

• roper2008
    13 years ago

That's good the mystery is solved. How did the grandson wind
    up at your house? What page is Part 1 & 2?
    I planted all the seeds you sent me last year. Unfortunately they
    did not like the spot I planted them in and did poorly. The
    bitter melon I had next to them did poorly also. Must have been
    just a bad spot. Good luck with your beans this year. For me
    it will be Rattlesnake, Roma and Dragon's Tongue.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Roper, I have known the grandson for many years, way back when I use to grow and show dahlias. I went to a dahlia show a year or so ago, he's still growing and showing, we got to chatting.
    Somehow beans entered into the conversation, I haven't the slightest how that happened :). He started telling me about the beans his grandmother brought with her when she immigrated. The pieces started to fall into place when I told him what I knew about the ones I had, the info he offered up pretty much sealed it and he said he'd know for sure if he saw the beans. It's just taken us this long to get together.
    His grandmother also brought a little brown bean which she used for baked bean dishes but I'm afraid that one is long gone. Back in 1965 when I was given these beans by a neighbor there were several people I knew growing them but I think I'm the only one who has kept them going.

The link below is where I started looking for the identity of the bean I've been growing for the past 40 or so years.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: My Italian Beans

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Yes, I remember that post and admiring those pretty beans. That's
    great that you kept them growing and now the grandson has some
    back in his family. Isn't that funny how you knew him many years
    ago and never knew his connection to your Italian beans.

• happyday
    13 years ago

Those beans are early and prolific producers too, I got masses of them. Too bad they didn't work out for you Roper, better luck next time.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Roper, you have mail.

Annette

• rxkeith
    13 years ago

thanks for the update annette.

i'm going to see how your beans do in the U.P. we are going up to the farm on a long sabbatical from work. not as bean friendly a place as the thumb region of michigan, but they should be ok.

keith

• fespo
    13 years ago

I have the same beans, all my dads side still lives in Italy and alot of my moms side too. I went a few years back and brought some seeds back. We have those beans in are family for years and years, as long as i can remeber and Im almost 47. I grow them to dry as shelling beans. There great in the middel of winter.

• happyday
    13 years ago

Fespo, what is the Italian name for this bean?