Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long for them to come up?

Posted by Danielnc84 none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 15:04

Sweet Snap Peas

I got some 3ft tall boxwood trimmings I was wondering if i could let the pea plants grow up on them if i like make a barrier?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long for them to come up?

danielnc84 - you have rediscovered the traditional pea stick. The only difference is that they are usually made with deciduous twiggy sticks (hazel for preference over here but I use any kind of twiggy prunings) but the might just be due to what is available at that time of year. Evergreens might make harvesting a bit fiddlier but on the other hand you have free, biodegradable pea supports. All you have to do is stick them in the ground. Just one problem you might encounter. You need about 6 inches in the ground to take the weight and not blow over so 3 feet might end up a bit short depending on what variety of pea you are growing.

o
RE: How long for them to come up? Pea sticks

Pea sticks in action. I think these were mostly red currant prunings.

o

I may have messed up on my pea sticks or maybe I did something good.

I used some fresh trimmings from my fig tree in Feb. The trimmings are starting to bud! If they don't take away too much from the peas I might have a bunch of fig trees to transplant!

o

wertach - that happens with currants too. At the end of the season I sometimes have a row of currant bushes. And I'll never use Forsythia again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here