Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will the growth tip of a pole bean regrow?

Posted by rtogio none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 15:12

Hey everyone!

I've got a question for all the gardeners with experience in pole beans out there. If the growth tip of the pole bean is broken off, will the plant regenerate it and start climbing again or will it stop growing upward?

I ask because this morning I found the tip of one of my bean plants had been bitten off by some bug.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will the growth tip of a pole bean regrow?

depends on how big your pole beans are. if they have multiple leaves then you will have new growth leaders generate from the leaf joints. just give them some time. if they are brand new, and all you have left is a stem, then they will remain a stem.

keith

o

Depends on whether the cut point is above the cotyledons or below. There are some really old varieties of beans that were cultivated by letting the runners get about 2 feet tall, then cutting the tips off. The remaining part of the runner would set a new growing point at each leaf axil with the end result of a huge plant with very high production.

DarJones

o

I had the tops snipped off quite a few of my pole beans by a bird last year. They were about 8" tall, and there was a leaf or two still on the plants afterwards. Most of them did put out a new growing tip. It really slowed them down though.

Damn bird just went down the row pruning them - didnt eat them as the tops were laying there the following day.

o

Did the birds eat the cotyledons.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here