Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole beans sick or damaged by bugs?

Posted by sarahvega 9a/TX (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 16:19

I have some kentucky wonder pole beans and some italian purple pole beans. Seemingly overnight (or over the past few days), the lowest leaves have started getting little brown spots and it looks like they are dissolving. We have had a lot of rain over the past week on and off, and I've seen some little fungus things here and there in the soil. I haven't seen any bugs except a few whiteflies a couple weeks ago, and when I look on the underside of the leaves, all I see are bits of dirt that splashed up from the rain.
I don't know if this is some fungus/sickness or if some bugs may be eating the leaves. It hasn't happened yet with the upper leaves. The spots look different on the purple pole beans vs the wonder beans. I planted most of these about 1 month ago as seeds. Please help!

1st two photos are kendtucky wonder. 2nd two are purple pole "trionfo violetto".
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9094273@N02/sets/72157623786947345/

Here is a link that might be useful: pole bean photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole beans sick or damaged by bugs?

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 22:24

Take a look at the link below to see if you can identify the problem. I am an abject failure at IDing most problems through photos. But I'm sure it isn't insect damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common bean diseases

o

Thank you for the link and the non-bug diagnosis! It looks worse now and does seem to be some diease like you suggested, but it kind of looks like any and all bean diseases. Thanks again!

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 11:17

Sarah

I don't see bean rust listed at the Cornell site. I'm not sure that's what your beans have, but I do know it's very common and yours sure look like the beginning stages. [The leaf-spot color in the picture does not match the written description, which is correct, but yours do. The infection in your pictures is not "severe" yet, so there are some things you could do if that's what it is.]

"...Symptoms develop on leaves and pods as pustules of red-brown powdery spores (urediniospores) which rupture the epidermis. They are often surrounded by a yellow halo. Severely infected leaves turn chlorotic, dry, and decline. ...the disease occurs sporadically and is important only under prolonged periods of warm, moist weather. ...Sulfur and myclobutanil fungicides may provide some protection."

I think that last sentence means you have to apply fungicides BEFORE they occur on the plants for prevention of the fungus, but you can begin a bean spraying program to prevent further fungal infection on the plants if it is rust. IOW, I don't think those recommended antifungals will cure it, but they can stop it. I use Ortho's Garden Disease Control for most garden plant fungal diseases, and it does cover bean rust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here