Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pea Seedlings Wilting

Posted by PaigeJessica 10a/Sunset 18 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 16:35

Hello,

I planted some pea seedlings very late. This is my first year gardening so I didn't realize peas were a spring crop. Last week we had 60 degree temps and my little peas were doing really well. Lately we've been in the low 80's for a couple days. This morning my whole row of peas were a little wilted. This afternoon they're even more wilted and a few have curled leaves.

I mulched them yesterday afternoon to try to keep them cool from the heat and I put shade cloth over them 10 minutes ago. Next week we have mostly mid 60 degree days so I hope they can survive until then...

Do peas wilt when it's hot outside? Or can they wilt from overwatering? Or can they wilt from mulch being too close? I have been keeping the soil moist for them.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pea Seedlings Wilting

Likely they are wilting from the heat. Peas don't like heat. Did you plant from seed or did you transplant seedlings? Peas also aren't fond of being transplanted, that might make them wilt a bit at first. It sounds like you're doing all the right stuff to keep them happy until the cool temps return. :)

Cindy

o
RE: Pea Seedlings Wilting

Thank you Cindy. It was the heat that was making them wilt. They perked up a bit from the shade cloth and this week has been very cool so now they're happy :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here