Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
royceag

Which Bean Inoculant?

royceag
12 years ago

Hi all! I'm brand new here and to Charlotte, NC. I've just come from LA where there are no seasons so, I'm completely thrown by the concept of planting dates, etc. I used to stick it in the ground or a pot when the whim struck me and it grew. Well, no more! I am starting a new vegetable bed and I want to grow all sorts of stuff including pole beans, snap peas & shell peas. I've been reading about bean inoculants being necessary for a new plot but, I don't know which brand to order. There's Guard-N Seed, X-treme Gardening Mykos, Plant Success Granular, David's Seeds N-Dure, Botanicare Zho & on. Which one is best? Do I need separate inoculants for carrots, onions, watermelon, squash, tomatoes, eggplant, etc? I am bringing in good-quality soil with compost & perlite/vermiculite mixed in for these raised beds but I can't be sure of which fungi/microbes are present. I gather I only have to do this once because then they're in the soil for good, right? Please excuse the rant but I'm truly clueless. Also, I have sown several veggies indoors already; will inoculant be of any use for planting them out or is it too late for those babies? I'm only in a hurry to plant because I know the beastly heat is coming any day to stay for months & I can't imagine how anything will survive, even with ample water! I foresee spontaneous combustion- we won't need fireworks; there goes the Japanese eggplant- BANG. Thanks for any insight - I need it!

Comments (3)

Sponsored