Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some varieties harvested this week

Posted by shuffles 9B (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 17:17

From left to right, Kwintus, Helda, Dade, Super Marconi.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some varieties harvested this week

Oh...they're absolutely lovely I'm sooo envious. I can't even start mine for another 3 weeks and that's pushing it for my neck of the woods.

o

Yes - grinding teeth here too. Absolutely diabolical 'spring'. Even the favas aren't in the ground yet. And the overwintered ones are looking a mess.

o

That's what I call rubbing it in, haven't even planted anything either in the greenhouse or garden, it's looks like our spring is shaping up to one I can direct sow in the garden.

Flora I feel for you, we are actually having a spring this year I've been able to work out in the garden since february, the last 3 years spring has been a bust. Seems we have swapped places weather wise this year.

Annette

o

Since that photo, the snap pole beans have been producing like crazy. I planted pole beans in 4" containers on January 27. After going in the ground a couple weeks later, I had to cover them a few nights to protect against frost. Growing pole beans here is fairly iffy. Most years I don't even try. The fall season is too short and the winter/spring season is not much better. If it is any colsolation, it will be over here in four to six weeks. After that it will be so hot at night that we can't grow much but okra, field peas, sweet potatoes and eggplant - plus some tropical stuff like callaloo.

This post was edited by shuffles on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 18:21

o

Oh THAT just isnt right !!! lol So many of us have a bipolar type season and You go and post beans harvested !!! We here in the panhandle of Texas had temps in the 90's yesterday and snow and 50 mph winds today and a HARD freeze tonight !!! Cayden and I did put out his beans and a couple gourds yesterday and they are now under buckets !! lol Oh well.... someday we can garden !!!! Enjoy your beans !!! Oh I DO have asparagus growing !!!

o

I planted eight varieties of pole snap beans. Six of them had a good flush early this month. Now, not even a month later, only two are producing worth a hoot - Violet Podded Pole and Dade. I guess with a name like Dade, that variety should do well in Florida, always has for me. Tastes good too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here