Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fava beans - when to pick

Posted by greenthumbsj Z9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 17:19

My fava beans are getting ready. The pods are about the size of my finger and the beans are pretty tender. I searched for recipes online and they all seem to indicate picking them up when they are mature which means the inner shell has to be removed as well. I grew up eating favas simply shelled from the pods and fried with garlic/butter but they tended to be not mature seeds.

Have anybody tried this ? Should I let the beans mature and remove from the outer shell before cooking ? I am trying to introduce fava to my 5.5 year old daughter whom I tricked into trying one (she thought it was green peas based on the look) but I don't think she will fall for it again.

I think picking mature beans and shelling outer shell from the beans before preparing will be more appetizing to her but I wanted to get expert opinions. I will have at least 5 pounds favas ready in a week or two and many more in the coming weeks and I want to make the best out of it and also get my family to appreciate and grow the taste for this bean which I love.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fava beans - when to pick

I have been picking the immature shellies and freezing them until I get a large enough amount for a meal, which will be in a couple of days for me (yeah!). Pretty soon I'll be able to pick enough pods for a meal without the intermediate freezing step. I like the mature favas too, but I would use them in soup if mature. Immature I just sautee them or cook like any other shelly, rather than as soup. I also tried the green snaps last year but did not much care for them. Shelly favas are truly special, not something you can buy at the store (I can buy dried favas in middle eastern stores here, even peeled!)

o
RE: Fava beans - when to pick

• Posted by adamark 5 W Chicago subs (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 2:49

There is nothing better then immature fave beans. Sautee onion (quite a bit) on olive oil, add whole beans cut in about inch. Add some chicken broth and chopped fresh mint. Keep cooking on low until tender. You can eat it warm or cold, I prefere cold. If you are vegeterian, use some water instead of chicken broth. Salt to taste.

Sorry, I'm not good in writting recipes. This is a reason I'm trying to grow fava beens. the ones in stores are usualy to "mature" and a bit "fibrous/woody".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here