Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbsj

Fava beans - when to pick

greenthumbsj
14 years ago

My fava beans are getting ready. The pods are about the size of my finger and the beans are pretty tender. I searched for recipes online and they all seem to indicate picking them up when they are mature which means the inner shell has to be removed as well. I grew up eating favas simply shelled from the pods and fried with garlic/butter but they tended to be not mature seeds.

Have anybody tried this ? Should I let the beans mature and remove from the outer shell before cooking ? I am trying to introduce fava to my 5.5 year old daughter whom I tricked into trying one (she thought it was green peas based on the look) but I don't think she will fall for it again.

I think picking mature beans and shelling outer shell from the beans before preparing will be more appetizing to her but I wanted to get expert opinions. I will have at least 5 pounds favas ready in a week or two and many more in the coming weeks and I want to make the best out of it and also get my family to appreciate and grow the taste for this bean which I love.

TIA

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus